I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, December 05, 2008

A couple of bottles

As I'm sitting at my desk, my co-worker L comes up behind me and places a couple of bottles of alcohol on my desk. They're both used for different purposes, but they're good, nonetheless.

"Here ya go," she says.

"What are these for?" I ask.

"They're for you."

"Why are they for me?" I grab them and place them under my desk so other hands won't touch them. I work on the account, so it makes sense they'd inevitably land at my desk.

"They're from the photoshoot." A series of drinks needed to be mixed for promotional materials. "Since they're open, we can't sell them."

"Oh. Okay." I don't bother to ask who paid for them. It was probably the client. If it was me, I'd charge the client for them, anyway.

One of the perks of working here is I get to work with clients that are useful to me. Some of them are lifestyle brands, while others allow me to go to the swankiest events in the city, and I am always on the RSVP list.

The other perk is that I get the occasional free bottle every once in a while. I wouldn't drink during office hours, of course, because that would be unprofessional.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Chapman said...

The best freebie I ever got was a day out racing cars - rally cars, a lotus and a ferrari.

120mph down an old runway in a Ferrari is just fantastic!

http://thestateofthenationuk.blogspot.com/

December 05, 2008 4:44 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

you are such a pro... you're my hero!

December 05, 2008 9:11 am  
Blogger Jake said...

The only thing my work ever gives me are misengraved knives. Great.

:)

December 06, 2008 9:34 am  
Blogger Volker said...

Well, I once got a partly consumed bottle of sherry from a guest at the condo complex I was working at at the time. He was staying in the furnished suites and left it for me after he vacated the suite. The housekeeping staff would have got it otherwise. I was working as a residential guard at the time.

Where I am now, I work as a concierge and am invited for Christmas dinner with the client and her department but we also get sweets, cakes and sandwiches now and then.

Accept the perks when you get them. It shows that someone appreciates your efforts, in my opinion. - Volker

December 07, 2008 12:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home