I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Reflections on the past year

It seems like whenever I look back on something, it seems to be for a couple of reasons: to justify the fact I was always right and everyone is always wrong; and to see what was going on in a particular time in my life. Sometimes, I'd rather have a case of amnesia.

January
My birthday was spent alone because no one wanted to celebrate with me. And, the worst part was some people forgot it was my birthday. I also started to develop another website in my spare time (cue pathetic fallacy).

February
Valentine's Day is spent with my father. It was even more depressing than spending my birthday alone. Bought a laptop - finally. Went on an interview that will inevitably change the course of 2008.

March
Started work at a new job. Attended my first of many events for fashion week. My free time began to slowly disappear and I didn't realize it before it was too late.

April
Started a mind-game of a relationship. Buried myself in work so I wouldn't remember how awful I felt at a time where I needed to forget the past.

May
Worked on two major festivals which took up all of my time. Had a terrible time in New York because it rained for three days straight. Spent spent a full day with a rock star (who was gracious and a great guy). Went to the Sex and the City premiere and was this close to Kim Cattrall.

June
Got promoted by proxy. Became a talent wrangler and assisted in managing a red carpet event. Had the balls to sing (out loud) to a favourite singer of mine. Attended my friend's wedding on the hottest day of the month; an outdoor wedding to boot.

July
Visited a friend in the country. Went to a reading of David Sedaris. Did nothing else for the other 20-odd days, apparently.

August
Was offered another position with the company. Went to a concert of a performer (see June). Planned a fairly large event for a little film festival that few people know about (see September).

September
Attended the Toronto International Film Festival. Accosted Gerard Butler at the buffet with a spoon. Had Olympian Adam Vankoeverdan drunkenly berate me in front of my peers. Madonna. Oh yeah, the whole cancer thing.

October
Attended Toronto Fashion Week. Went to several shows and fabulous parties. Met J.

November
Worked. A lot. Shopped for Christmas gifts. Lost my mind trying to figure out what to get people for Christmas. Attended a few more parties.

December
Went to the cottage for the first time. Had a touch of alcohol poisoning. Blacked out and lost three hours of my life. And, of course, there was Christmas.

With a year like this, I don't need a repeat. The only thing I do need is to schedule in some time to sleep because there sure as fuck wasn't enough of that in 2008.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

there is never enough time for sleep. i hate it.

December 31, 2008 1:24 am  
Blogger Peter said...

ANNOUNCEMENT for other commenters and readers. January 10 is Mr. S. 25th birthday... again.

Steve, wishing you a great 2009, may all your dreams come true!

Greetings from Amsterdam

December 31, 2008 4:37 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Man oh man, I hope there's not a repeat. It sounds a little slanted. I hope 2009 is a bit better for you. Happy new Year!

December 31, 2008 9:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steven, Thanks for sharing your life with us via the window of human nature.

I know I have been noticeably, obnoxiously silent but it has been a pretty rough 2008 for me, as well. Despite the absence, know that I continue to value our exchanges and that I will work harder to see the forrest for the trees and to keep in touch with my friends. A very happy 2008 to you!

December 31, 2008 9:41 am  
Blogger Brand New W said...

all the best for 2009!

December 31, 2008 12:58 pm  
Blogger dave peterson said...

that was a very entertaining wrap-up!

December 31, 2008 3:20 pm  
Blogger Fabu Stuff said...

Hope 2009 is better for you stud, and that you are not alone on you b'day. Come to Miami to celebrate with me. :)

January 01, 2009 4:45 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

Happy New Year! and WTF? September? You left out meeting me in person!

January 02, 2009 9:30 am  
Blogger S said...

RT, I can't believe I forgot that (I wasn't sure if it was September or October, grrr...).

January 02, 2009 11:58 am  
Blogger BRYAN AMBITION said...

i know you just kept the positive in a special little box just for yourself.
;-)

January 02, 2009 11:32 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am sure that this year will bring more eventful times.

January 03, 2009 12:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home