I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, December 29, 2008

So many presents

As I look under the my sister's Christmas tree, all I can see are tons of gifts. There are so many, they wrap around the tree and swerve to the side. They're wrapped, although some of them are placed in bags (for convenience, probably). Most of them are for my two nieces.

And herein lies the problem: I think they're too many.

When I was growing up, my family and friends would only give my sister and me one gift; two if we were really good that year. There was a selection of wrappings under the tree and we were happy if the tree stand wasn't seen (because it was covered by presents).

We were grateful to receive those gifts. They were special. We believed it was better to have five great gifts than 50 lousy ones. When looking at the recent haul from my nieces, I don't see a lot of special, but I do see a lot of lousy. And the good ones were obvious since my nieces never stopped playing with them.

Some people should just give one physical gift alongside some cash - the best gift of all.

Another thing is what happens when my nieces grow up? No one is going to give them a ton of gifts. It's not that they don't deserve them (they're not selfish or greedy), but I can't see a 20-year-old with 20 gifts. Ain't no way that's gonna happen, no matter how good Santa thinks they are.

Then again, I'm also to blame. This year, I gave both my nieces two gifts each. Granted, I am their uncle, and granted they were spectacular. But, next year I may have to cut back and give them one because I don't want them to get used to so many presents from me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jake said...

I find this post funny because I know exactly how you feel and I was just complaining about this the other day.

I'm also an uncle, and my niece is a year and a half. And jesus christ did she get presents this year on Christmas. I felt like the jealous sibling or something, because your description of swerving around the tree is exactly how my living room looked. I couldn't believe the amount of gifts my parents and my sister bought her. I still feel like she got too many.

December 29, 2008 12:45 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

I think you've hit on a very important topics....too much. And, yes, too many presents boggles the heart and soul. We don't do any. Makes us both feel better. As odd as that sounds.... Happy New Year!

December 29, 2008 10:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't celebrate Christmas but Saint Nick's Day on December 5th. Two gifts was the maximum and a chocolate letter. the gifts without batteries were the ones played most with...

December 29, 2008 12:26 pm  
Blogger Brand New W said...

i didn't have any gifts under the tree this year, as a lot of my friends and i opted to do the "let's just go have dinner together" thing.

December 29, 2008 6:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home