I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Gluten = flavour

There are a few people in my office who are not able to eat food products made with gluten. No one says a thing because they’re usually hungry enough to let a gluten-free item slide when ordering food.

When we bite into whatever is ordered, most of us are a little disappointed with the flavour because, as it turns out, gluten-free equals taste-free. And, we’re all paying for it.

Growing up, I was taught you didn’t like something, you didn’t eat it. Now, if you don’t like something, everyone else doesn’t eat it. That, I think, is selfish and rude.

If someone was invited to my home for dinner and told me I had to adapt the recipe to their whims, I wouldn’t invite them over for a meal again. It’s not like there’s an option for tofu pasta and tomato-less sauce at Italian restaurants.

It’s not a life or death situation. With so many food allergies in the world, I’m surprised anyone can eat anything. Nut dust practically flies through the air, alongside toxic fumes and insults.

So, the next time someone orders a gluten-free meal for the entire office, I’m going to say if they can make a switch to some gluten-full items because I’m allergic to the taste of cardboard.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

So true... I had people over to dinner and got a "no seafood, no potatoes and no rice" request... How rude. I complied as I'm too nice, but they won't be coming again.

However some things that are labelled gluten free are actually quite nice - muffins made out of almond meal rather than flour are delicious. But yes, mostly things xxx-free are pretty disgusting and cardboardy.

June 04, 2009 12:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soba noodles are made from buckwheat flour and are gluten-free. Not that you should be constrained to get Asian food all the time, but I think they're pretty tasty.

June 04, 2009 9:19 pm  
Blogger TFG said...

Gluten free is just the latest fad. Your highly stylized world may be more susceptible to the whims of the fashionable.

Gluten free diets are recommended for people with celiac diseases. It's well known among people with this disease that a gluten-free diet typically causes weight gain.

When everyone else discovers this, they'll move on to the next latest greatest craze.

June 05, 2009 6:14 am  
Anonymous Jake said...

I have a friend at school who is seriously allergic to Glutten. We had her over to my townhouse for a dinner one night, not knowing about her situation, and she got horribly sick when we told her we thought our dinner was glutten-free.

I would still invite people over if they had allergies. If I liked their company, I would go out of my way to make sure their dinner is okay for them to eat. It's what friends do.

June 06, 2009 11:52 pm  
Blogger Tristan said...

If you have a food allergy, then you need to take responsibility for it and not make it other people's problems. If I had friends allergic to gluten I would say, "Come over, but bring your own food."

June 09, 2009 8:59 am  
Blogger Chris said...

AMEN! There's one in my office. When her birthday rolls around, I have to order gluten-free cupcakes. The only "bakery" that makes them is about 5 miles from the office - and they don't deliver. That means paying for a messenger service to go down there and fetch them. That's on top of the ridiculous cost.

When I worked at Michael Kors, our boss was allergic to bananas, eggs and chocolate. She ate those things constantly and then would rush up to me and say, "Look at my face. Am I breaking out?" She was such a bitch that I considered rubbing a banana peel on the underside of her chair.

And don't get me started on vegans.

June 09, 2009 9:38 am  
Blogger Doomed But Cheerful! said...

I would agree that pandering to faddish diets is irritating and, in my case, unlikely. I will make exceptions for a genuine allergy - I am allergic to injecting insulin to people in anaphylactic shock at the dinner table!
G =]

June 27, 2009 6:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home