I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, February 01, 2010

Getting dissed by the disabled

Being single, I have to put myself out there in order to see what’s available on the proverbial dating menu. Sometimes there isn’t much to pick from and other times you end up having something to eat even if you don’t like the taste of it.

Recently, I ended up “talking” with someone who seemed to be normal. Of course, just thinking they’re normal is a sign they’re not normal, at all.

After a few messages, I get a bombshell of sorts: D is deaf. I don’t have an issue with this, but I do have an issue if D can’t talk. I tell D I don’t know sign language, so someone better know how to read lips and mumble a few words.

I know plenty of people who are horrible communicators who never shut the fuck up. Maybe this is a sign: Those who speak less are able to say a lot more.

I set up a date, but D cancels. I set up another date, and D cancels once more. Finally, after two weeks of nothing, I get a text from D at 7-something in the morning.

“Since I haven’t heard from you, I take it you’re not interested. Have a good life!”

Really? That’s the response I get after being ignored for two fucking weeks?

I blast off a couple of messages, saying I made dates which D cancelled, then said D is the sort of person that judges, is mindless, shallow and ignorant (this was said by D in one of our back-and-forth emails). How can you be interested one day and not interested the next, from Friday to Saturday?

“It’s bc ur very busy. What’s point 4 us 2 meet? I’m lkg 4 more than one-time mtg. I’m sure u understand” is the response I get.

My reply is short and to the point.

“I need to meet people at least once before knowing if I want to see them again.” And just to rub it in, I end it with, “I’m sure u understand.”

Getting dissed by the disabled. That’s a new low for me.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Jake said...

Love the text back to him. Haha, really love it.

February 01, 2010 8:19 am  
Blogger TED said...

Men who cancel a date with you and then fail to see that the onus for initiating a meeting has shifted to them are shockingly common, in both senses of the word.

But he is probably not intentionally dissing you so much as he is unable to get beyond the defense mechanisms that he has had to build up. It can't be easy for a deaf guy to date, and after a while, it's probably easier to push people away than to risk getting hurt. You should probably feel sorry for him.

February 01, 2010 8:46 am  
Blogger submodal said...

I think getting dissed in general sucks (and not in the good way, of course…) but it’s kind of harsh to imply that the disabled are on a lesser rung of society (therefore bringing you to the same “low”) The guy has some social interaction issues that will likely plague him for life, so cut him a break and keep putting yourself out there. Good for you to being open enough in the first place to give it a try.

February 01, 2010 1:15 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

you should've said..."I left you a voicemail, guess ya didn't listen to it... OHHHH, my bad!"

February 02, 2010 10:25 am  
Blogger Marquis said...

WTF! Why do guys pull this s**t. For goodness sake grow a pair and say that you just don't wanna date. Don't persue me from the get go. Grr! I was just in the same boat. I am lil pissed off. Lol

February 02, 2010 6:49 pm  
Blogger Brand New W said...

And now ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40oOpL_T-4E

February 03, 2010 3:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home