I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Blackity black black

It’s Friday night and three of us are going out for a night of drinking and dancing. There’s nothing else better to do, so we might as well have a little fun.

Initially, we were going to a trashy club, and I dressed appropriately (old jeans and a v-neck). Then I find out they want to go to a swankier club. I have no idea what to wear because I know we’ll be bouncing between several places on the bar crawl. When all else fails, dress in black. Everything looks the same in the dark.

When I meet them at the club, they’re overdressed, as if they’re hitting a Roberto Cavalli after party. I throw off my black coat to show more black underneath.

“We have to give you a makeover,” says my best friend, D.

“Why? I didn’t think I’m that badly dressed.”

“No, you need more colour in your life.”

“I have colour. I think I have one red sweater in my closet. Granted, I never wear it and the rest of my closet is 75% black, and the rest blue and grey...” I trail off.

It’s not that I’m adverse to colour, but I don’t like it on me no matter if it looks good, or not against my skin tone. I’ve always liked black. It goes with everything, can be worn any time of the day, is appropriate for any kind of occasion, and you can always hide stains when running off to an important meeting with a swipe of water.

If you want to give me a colour makeover, make sure it’s in black.

3 Comments:

Blogger Princessa lil mexico said...

I'll send over some pink and green. Black does go with everything. But some people might take it wrong. To each his own!

January 17, 2011 2:46 am  
Blogger Rick Bettencourt said...

Good advice. I'll remember next time I'm headed out.

January 17, 2011 8:52 am  
Blogger Dean Grey said...

I disagree with this a bit.

Black looks good on certain skin tones but it's not for everyone.

I'm pretty light-skinned (pale--sigh) and I think black sometimes makes it even worse and more noticeable.

Usually black looks great on those with darker hair and olive complexions IMHO.

-Dean

February 07, 2011 3:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home