I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Look closer

For the film American Beauty, the catch phrase look closer was used to describe a film that asked the question of what exists beyond the white picket fence, the manicured lawn, the pretty window boxes, and the cape-cod style home.

Sometimes what appears to be on the surface is only superficial. Not everything is beautiful. There is a lot of ugliness that lies beneath.

Look closer.

**

X continually improves on the demands set-up by family and friends, yet secretly wants to live a life without a predetermined list of rules (although it will never happen).

Y is a successful businessperson, but feels like it is imperative to get married although being single is the best choice.

Z has it all, but chips away at the perceived flaws of others to feel better about not having anyone to share in a life of idealized perfection.

**

Some people don’t like to show what they really mean and feel. They’re not frauds, but fragile. Their smiles show traces of sadness. Their words have an undercurrent of bitterness. Their eyes say everything in between.

On the other hand, I keep my emotions close to the surface and wear my heart on my sleeve. Happy? You can tell. Sad? You can tell. Pissed? Pretty much always. If I ever have something I don’t want to talk about, I’ll tell you it’s none of your fuckin' business.

In the end, you don’t have a closer look with everyone, but sometimes you have to.

6 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Yes, I know it's cryptic and evasive.

Unfortunately, I wrote it a while ago, so I don't know what I was being cryptic and evasive about.

September 07, 2006 10:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true though. So few of us humans have the courage to wear our hearts on the outside. I am a hider. It is toxic to be that way, it sucks.

September 07, 2006 3:12 pm  
Blogger tornwordo said...

If I sense that people are too controlled and protected, I lose interest completely.

September 07, 2006 7:54 pm  
Blogger Single Guy said...

Totally agree mate. I think people do not take a closer look at me..hence I am single!

September 07, 2006 8:47 pm  
Blogger S said...

BID: For some people, it's sometimes better to have it hidden.

Jeff: Were you a psychologist in a previous life? (*strokes goatee*)

Torn: How can you sense someone being controlled and protected? You HAVE to show me (really).

SG: Maybe it's up to you to show them if they can't see what's in front of them.

September 07, 2006 11:11 pm  
Blogger Kevin said...

With me you can always tell the WHAT ... it's the WHY that throws people off.

September 11, 2006 12:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home