I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Wry and Coke

While strolling through any supermarket, inevitably there will be an aisle with beverages, stacked from floor to ceiling with countless visions of liquid dreams.

Flavoured drinks taste good on their own, but sometimes they can taste better when blended with another.

Years ago, my sister and I would mix cola and ginger ale to form some sort of amber-coloured drink. It didn’t taste like anything in particular, except for sugar and bubbles.

Now that I’m older, I’ve moved onto harder stuff; disinfecting deep cuts and cauterizing them with a quick splash of the bottle.

Being a traditionalist, I’ve always favoured old-fashioned liquor like scotch/whiskey, rum, etc. instead of beer, or any beverage made of hops (it reminds me of cows chewing on cud in the middle of a pasture).

A little whiskey in a crystal tumbler with a lot of ice is ideal. The ice waters down the liquor, but it's still strong. To help cut down on the alcohol, I pour some Coke from an already open can into the tumbler.

And the rest is history… well, it was history since I blank out after having two of them.

Before anyone begins to think this is a horrible combination, consider this...

The bitter sweetness of Coke is a perfect match for the bitter sweetness of whisky. Both flavours balance each other out. A slice of sour lemon is the final touch to enhance the drink.

Of course, it’s not for everyone, but the sensation of drinking it is similar to my personality: the initial, prickly coldness warms its way until it burns as it flows down your throat.

Which reminds me, I need a drink.

Note: Have a great birthday, this weekend, N.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to have liquid dreams too, but not since I was a teenager.

Oh wait...that's not the same thing is it?? Oops.

;0)

October 20, 2006 7:57 am  
Blogger Timmy said...

uggh! maybe I will have a drink this morning, to cure my headache!

October 20, 2006 8:09 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

HEY! Nice new pic. Bold move there!!

And I'm all about the Rum and Coke. Pure bliss.

October 20, 2006 8:50 am  
Blogger madamerouge said...

it's one of my favourite flavours

October 20, 2006 10:28 am  
Blogger S said...

JUS: That's just nasty.

Timmy: The best way to cure a hangover is with alcohol.

Six: Yeah, I like R&C, too. Have since I was eight.

Jeff and Liquid: I'll have to try those... out of a crystal tumbler.

MR: Which flavour?

October 20, 2006 2:46 pm  
Blogger madamerouge said...

Rye.

October 20, 2006 11:47 pm  
Blogger tornwordo said...

We have shooters of Rye every time we visit the Mother in Law. It is the first thing we do in memory of her parents (who used to require the same of all visitors)

Love it now.

October 21, 2006 7:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in Germany many years ago, I had a soft drink that was a combination of Coke and Fanta orange. I tried replicating upon my return to the states, but never could master it. It was delicious!

October 21, 2006 11:32 am  
Blogger eric3000 said...

I only drink champers, dahlings!

Great new picture, Steven!

October 22, 2006 3:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home