I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Boonga?

While my niece is busy moisturizing her hands with Vaseline Intensive Care (the girl loves her creams) in my bedroom, I suddenly get a tickle in my nose that I know will result in a sneeze. But, I’m wrong. It results in a series of sneezes; five in a row.

My niece stops rubbing her hands together and looks at me.

“Boonga, Uncle?” she asks.

Boonga?” I say as I rub my nose with my hand. What the hell is she talking about?

“Boonga?” she repeats as she hands me the hankie I have on the bed.

Ah, boonga! Now I understand what she’s getting at.

In her learning the grasp of several languages and slang terms that her inclusive family throws out in a typical conversation, she creates her own vernacular of verbs, adjectives and nouns.

Boonga is a mixture of booger and funga (the noise a person makes that is stronger than a sniffle, yet weaker than a sneeze).

“Boonga. Yes, yes, boonga,” I say as I take the hankie and blow my nose. “Thank you, B.”

Smart kid. Who knew a two-year-old could come up with such a useful word, especially during cold and flu season?

10 Comments:

Blogger Timmy said...

cute!

December 19, 2006 7:52 am  
Blogger Timmy said...

no one loves you today.

December 19, 2006 12:04 pm  
Blogger S said...

Nah, it's not that (everyone loves me, especially you!).

I think it's because no one cares for my niece (boo! hiss!) and boonga.

December 19, 2006 12:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love verbal mashups. Like craptacular and mosoms [man bosoms]
hugs,
kb

December 19, 2006 12:41 pm  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Now, I want to go back to the Vaseline that she found in your room and is now smearing all over her hands. Was it under your bed? Clean? I can't believe you'd let a 2-yr-old play in it.

December 19, 2006 6:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lewis stole my dirrty thought. Notice two r's...

That was a cute story. I have one of those little ones at home... we could swap stories for a lifetime.

December 19, 2006 7:43 pm  
Blogger S said...

Ugh. It's hand cream.

And even if it was something else, high up on a shelf, she could scale it like Mount Everest.

December 19, 2006 7:52 pm  
Blogger madamerouge said...

Who knew a two-year-old could come up with such a useful word, especially during cold and flu season?

Kelly Ripa put her up to it.

December 20, 2006 12:49 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I love snotty talk.

December 20, 2006 6:16 am  
Blogger Normlr said...

Robitussin!!

December 20, 2006 2:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home