I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Morning serenade

This morning marks the first time I am awaken by the sound of someone serenading me. It's quite nice. Very melodic.

“La la la, Uncle… La la la, Uncle…” sings my niece from the hallway.

"Uncle will up soon," I hear my sister saying. "When he comes out of his room, then you can play with him."

After going through my morning routine, my sister tells my niece up in the night and called out for me. She didn't see me before she went to sleep (I got home late from work) and wanted to know where I was. Poor thing, she misses her uncle, even when she's unconscious.

“I don’t understand why she likes him," says my mother at lunchtime, while the entire family is seated at the table. "Look at her, she’s practically hanging off of him.” On that cue, my niece jumps off her chair, walks around the table and sits on my lap - watching TV - for the rest of the meal.


The rest of the day is spent with the both of us goofing around and playing with each other. It's fun. She looks like a living doll. Only she poops a lot more.

But, why does she like me? There are other people who spend more time with her, give her more gifts, and love and attention. They should be on the receiving end of her affection, not me.

Could it be because I let her watch TV (much to the dismay of my sister)? Could it be because I do different voices when I read stories to her? Could it be because I play with her and her toys? Could it be because I like to play dress up? Could it be because I let her do anything she wants?

It could be one, all, or none of the above. But, whatever the reason, it doesn't matter; just as long she keeps serenading me in the morning.

4 Comments:

Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

Thanks Stephen!
Now I miss my nephew - we had the same relationship.
:)

April 18, 2007 8:07 am  
Blogger dantallion said...

Why does she like you? She must have read your blog.

Very sweet post.

April 18, 2007 10:00 am  
Blogger S.B. said...

Awww. What a nice way to wake up in the morning!

April 18, 2007 12:06 pm  
Blogger Single Guy said...

She's so cute..kids can be so cute!!! She's adorable. I miss my niece. You are lucky to live with them!

April 18, 2007 9:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home