I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Closure

When you pull a book off a shelf, crack open its spine, and begin to flip through the pages, you expect the story to have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Only sometimes, there’s the final chapter is missing and you don’t know how the damn thing ends.

Unresolved relationships can be like those missing pages, and I am someone who needs to know what happens.

I need closure.

Instead of wallowing in doubt (Was it me? What did I do?), I whip up a satisfactory denouement to tie up any loose ends.

It’s a cop-out to think of yourself as the hero, and the other party as the villain. There is no good and bad. Everyone is equally complicated. There are no extenuating circumstances (although they help with melodramas – An Affair to Remember, anyone?), and the basic story is kept simple.

Hopefully, it all ends well, even if there are no happy endings.

Sometimes closure must be created on the page, read and accepted to help shut the book close, and placed back on the shelf.

5 Comments:

Blogger dantallion said...

I used to feel the same way. Now I'm not so sure. Too often, the summary of events that people create in their minds to justify why they did what in a failed relationship is just to far removed from the truth to really be of any value.

April 12, 2007 10:35 am  
Blogger S said...

As twisted as my logic may sound, it's the only way I'll find comfort within the situation.

I like a beginning, a middle, and an end.

April 12, 2007 10:39 am  
Blogger Jeff Skybar said...

I have one of those non-closure books in my life. It haunts me still to this day....12 years later. But damn it, it's hard to put that book away unfinished, good or bad it has to end properly. But it's not up to me, so I will just settle for a partial novel.

Is that you in the pic?

April 12, 2007 11:46 am  
Blogger Single Guy said...

Yes. I agree...I need closure in life too!!!

April 12, 2007 10:03 pm  
Blogger Christopher said...

I can so relate...I love the pic (I think I'm in love!)...pork & cheese NEVER looked
so good!

xoxo

April 14, 2007 1:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home