I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

It’s not what you say, but how you say it

Stephen Fry has said that British actors are not necessarily better than non-Brits when it comes to the profession - it’s their accent that makes it sound like they are.

Personally, I find that accents are like a cherry on top of a sundae; that extra sweetness that tastes great when it’s in your mouth. But, sometimes too much sugar can lead to diabetic shock.

I love listening to clipped sounds of the British, the rolling cadence of American southern, the high-and-low speak of Australian, and the (almost) musical tones of South African accents.

But, I never understood the appeal of Latin accents. I hear them all the time (because of my background) and don’t find them in the least bit sexy. Part of me wants to say, “Hey, Maria, you’ve lived in the country long enough, don’t you think it’s time to lessen up on your rolled r’s?” and the other part of me wants to enrol them in an ESL course.

Then again, I am probably a minority on this. I’ve seen people get weak in the knees when hearing a Latin accent. Not every Latin person falls under the stereotype of a lover, not a fighter. I don’t get it. Why do they physically melt? Maybe their sundae needs to be refrigerated.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not alone.

April 10, 2007 6:50 am  
Blogger madamerouge said...

You're Trish: "People who don't like minority governments are racist." *

Oh, and it's milkshake, not sundae.

* Globe & Mail radio ad campaign (brilliant, imho)

April 10, 2007 8:16 am  
Blogger dantallion said...

I think the latin accent gives rise to the potential of what may lie beneath it.

That being said, I'm a sucker for Australian and British accents, myself.

April 10, 2007 8:16 am  
Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

I also love the Aussie and Brit accents. Especially when they swear, it's so concise and sharp! But I find the latin accent sexy in women, in that "hello sailor, wanna hump-hump" sort of way...

And MR, i love those ads too!

April 10, 2007 8:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, potato, potahto.
Given the Latin accents in my neighborhood are generally attached to husky women who have screamed so much their vocal nodules are literally bursting anew each time they speak...no, I don't find it too attractive. that's not to say I don't find charm in an accent in some form or another...but I do love the Aussie and Brit. Lord. Especially when it's on someone who doesn't appear they should be speaking that way.

April 10, 2007 10:10 am  
Blogger Threnody said...

Stop bitching and just think about how lucky you are that Ryan isn't trolling your blog :P

April 10, 2007 6:07 pm  
Blogger Single Guy said...

I agree with you mate. I dont find latino accents appealing. I do have a mate from Colombia and all the guys and girls go crazy for his accent. I love english or french accents!

April 10, 2007 8:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home