I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The middle man

Like in every corporation, there lies a middle man: the guy who is the go-between between the person on the lowest rung on the ladder and the person on the highest one.

Even though I’m not a cog in a large, faceless corporation, I feel like society's middle man. In fact, I am the middle man.


Externally, I’m not good looking or unattractive, not too tall or short, the body isn’t super-ripped or flabby. Internally, my brain works well (which, in turn, makes me quite naïve), I'm well-read even if the literature sometimes verges on trashy novel territory, my talents are far-ranging (not a master in any of them, though), I know several languages and feel like I could/should know more, the job doesn’t make me loads of cash but I’m not poor, and on and on.

Nobody wants me, or wants to deal with me. I'm continually passed over for someone else - smarter, richer, younger, buffer, etc.

Everything is right down the centre, with no deviations to the left or the right. The middle. Me.

9 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Ok, I am not comparing myself to Brad Pitt and George Clooney in any way.

But, I am a better actor than Brad. Ugh. I hate it when he licks his lips before an important scene, like he thinks that a shiny pout will make the scene resonate with moviegoers.

April 03, 2007 11:29 pm  
Blogger brenton said...

Amen to us average boys!

April 04, 2007 7:44 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Seriously, Brenton is so right on.....Let's hear it for all of us average boys and girls!
Now, au contraire (you, being the one who knows several languages will know if I spelled that correctly or not): Au contaire on the "nobody wants to deal with me" thing......you're dead wrong on that one.

April 04, 2007 11:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you consider average, another guy may consider perfect. Regardless, I understand the feeling. Most of us are in the middle in one way or another.

April 04, 2007 12:24 pm  
Blogger Brand New W said...

i'm a 100% bottom!

oh. is that not what we're discussing?

April 04, 2007 12:37 pm  
Blogger S.B. said...

Just think of it as being in the middle of a "Steven Sandwich".

Maybe that does not work so well at work. Or then again, maybe it could.

Ok, I think I got off track......the picture of Brad Pitt distracted me. Damn those hot boys.

April 04, 2007 1:28 pm  
Blogger Jeff Skybar said...

I hear you on this Steven. But I still press forward hoping that someday my prince will come...Oh my neice is into Disney right now.

April 05, 2007 9:16 am  
Blogger Naijadude said...

Dont we all feel like that some times? Even though someone might feel like they want you but you still feel like the "middle man"

nice blog!

April 05, 2007 10:00 pm  
Blogger Sunshine said...

I tend to think being in the middle is a good place to be. You don't stick out, so you don't invite unwanted attention, which means you can be the quiet achiever and get the things you really want without people noticing. I think that's better than being on either ends of the extreme. Also, "middle people" have a better sense of balance.

April 10, 2007 6:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home