I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, May 25, 2007

NY See: Hotel hell-o

It’s been a long day. I’m tired, cold, and wet. The weather isn’t cooperating with my travel plans, and neither has my carryall. But, I'm almost at my hotel and I can leave those problems behind and focus on a new set of them.

Since budget is a consideration, I'm not booking a room at the St. Regis or The Pierre. It's a good thing I'm not picky when it comes to accomodations. I can fall asleep anywhere, just as long as it’s clean. A bed isn’t always necessary because I can sleep on the floor if needed. All I need are the basics.

Apparently, I should have higher standards.

**

As I flick the lightswitch on the wall, the room blinds me. There's a bare bulb in the ceiling and the walls are painted institution white. The carpet is covered in a dusting of joint compound because the room is being renovated.


The room is decorated in only the way that a blind, Korean grandmother would love. There is no headboard, a teeny tiny bedside table, and an old dresser (with no hangers inside).

Since the bed is next to the wall, I jump over it and go to the window to see the view. There isn’t one. The window is backpainted in black so you can't see out of it.

"Great," I say to no one in particular.

It's bad enough there's no television, but there's also no telephone. If someone comes into the room in the middle of the night, I can't dial 911 for help. Also, no one will hear me scream because the room is at the end of the hallway. If I get killed, the only way they’ll know I’m dead is when the cleaning lady moves my limp body to the side to make the bed in the morning.

I take a glance into the washroom. It's small, clean, and the plumbing works. There's a window, but it doesn't work since it's glued (and taped) shut.


Thankfully, I'm being moved to another room in the morning.

God forbid what's in store tomorrow.

**

When I open the door to my new room, I pray that I won’t be subjected to the Bates Motel. The last thing I need is to think of Anthony Perkins, dressed in drag, and holding a knife while looking over me.


When I turn on the lights, I’m pleasantly surprised. The room has halogen lighting, not a single bulb in the ceiling. The walls are painted in a zesty colour of lime, there is actual furniture (a headboard and dresser), a plasma TV on the wall, and a phone. It’s not luxurious, but it’s simple.


Best of all, there’s a window that opens… to an alleyway.

In the end, this room is a four-star suite compared with some of the places where my friends live. But, I shouldn't complain - most of the time spent in this room, I'll be unconscious.

Note: To all of my readers (and friends) in the USA, have a great memorial weekend.

11 Comments:

Blogger Brand New W said...

during my 1st trip to new york, i stayed in a hostel in chelsea. complete with shared bathrooms and cochroaches on the walls....

May 25, 2007 1:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. Not only does the 2nd room look better than some places I've lived in NYC, so does the first! You got off lucky! ;-)

May 25, 2007 2:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad you could not have stayed at the Penn Club. ;-)

May 25, 2007 4:59 pm  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Sounds like you're off to a grand start to one of the world's greatest cities....what are your plans? Wishing you a great relaxing weekend.

May 25, 2007 6:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now would be a great time to visit NYC. 90 degrees fuckinrenheit.

May 25, 2007 9:41 pm  
Blogger S said...

Actually, the second room was quite nice. The first room was creepy, as if I couldn't escape.

May 26, 2007 12:55 am  
Blogger Franciscus van Munster said...

Nice room. The image in the mirror is not too shabby either

May 26, 2007 2:33 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

This was the SAME hotel? Those rooms are vastly different. Nice shot in the mirror.

May 26, 2007 7:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh... welcome to the wacky world of non-chain NYC hotels. Wheeeeee!

um, yeah, I agree: very nice shot, btw

May 27, 2007 10:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I was supposed to be in NYC this weekend. But, alas, here I am in Hong Kong.

Why don't you whip over?

May 27, 2007 9:51 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

For those of us who are constantly travel weary, a bed with clean sheets, clean towels and no odors represents a decent room...

Do tell, however, the choice of your hotel this trip. I want to make sure I avoid it in the future.

And if ever you need a recommendation for a hotel room for a future trip, let m eknow, I've stayed at some good, great and not so great places.

May 29, 2007 11:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home