I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

NY See: Whether the weather

No matter how much you try to plan your itinerary for a forthcoming trip, you’re never prepared for the unexpected – namely, the weather.

Of course, if you’re travelling to the North Pole, you take something that’s down-filled, and if you’re going to Brazil, a swimsuit (and a waxing) is a no-brainer.

With New York being close to Toronto, the weather patterns tend to be similar: when it’s warm/cold in one place, it’s warm/cold in the other, and vice versa. Since the temperatures in Toronto are quite mild in May, I assume NYC will be the same. To make sure this holds true, I check online to make sure I need to pack t-shirts and shorts, instead of sweaters and slacks.

After a few clicks, I see that the next few days won’t require a supply of woolly separates - t-shirts and shorts it is.

When I arrive in the city at the ungodly hour of 5:30 a.m., I expect for it to be cool since the sun isn’t out yet. It’s not cool. It’s cold. And rainy. And windy. Very, very windy.


What the fuck, Mother Nature? Bitch, what did I do to you to deserve this?

Due to the fact that I don’t have a lot of body fat, I begin to shiver. My arms wrap around my torso to keep warm, but it doesn’t work. I begin to shake a little. I thought wearing a t-shirt, a v-neck sweater, and a lightweight jacket would be enough insulation, but it isn’t. Thankfully, I skipped on the shorts and flip flops when I left Toronto and decided on wearing a pair of jeans, shoes and socks.

As I walk towards Times Square, my carryall falls over for the umpteenth time. Whoever designed it thought it was a brilliant idea to place its wheels close to each other instead of further apart for balance. They should be fired. And shot… several times.

Looking down, I see the zipper burst open and my neatly-rolled underwear stick out of the side, as if I’m advertising my services.

“Motherfucker!” I yell at the bag as I try to shove everything back inside while frantically pulling the zipper up and down. The passers-by look at the spectacle and must think I’m crazy because I’m talking to myself and shaking.

Great, I come to NYC and I’m going to catch a cold… or the flu. That’s one way to make this a memorable trip, I think. Good thing the hypochondriac in me was neurotic enough to pack cold and flu medicine.

When I reach the intersection where Broadway and Seventh Avenue make an X, I see McDonald’s and go in. The coffee I order is hot enough to warm my hands.

As I sit at the window, I watch morning commuters pass by. Apparently, I must be the only one who is suffering from a mild case of hypothermia because most them are toing-and-froing without the several of layers of clothes that I’m sporting.

To kill some time before I check in to my hotel at 3 p.m., I take advantage of the fact there aren’t many people around (including those dreaded tourists – ugh) and snap some photos. With my camera in one hand and the carryall in the other, my hands lose all feeling in less than 15 minutes.

To keep warm, I find a computer terminal in the visitor’s centre that allows its users to go online for 10 minutes at a time. I e-mail a few people saying that I am in the city and that it’s freezing. One of the replies is: You’re from Canada, you should be used to the cold.

He’s right. I shouldn’t complain. I’m in New York.

In a few days, I’ll be seeing the sights, meeting up with people, and taking in some musical theatre. Sleeping will be optional.

And, if I need a sweater, Loro Piana makes great cashmere separates to keep me warm.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Always got your underwear out on the streets of NY, dontcha?

May 23, 2007 2:17 pm  
Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

Have a great time!

May 23, 2007 3:23 pm  
Blogger Marquis said...

It was a weird weekend here. The weather was nice leading up till weekend and then the rain come. I moved on saturday and the rain did not help. Hope you had a good time in NYC

May 23, 2007 8:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have found someone to keep you warm.

May 23, 2007 9:05 pm  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Subtle, friendly observations:
1. Rolled undies? Quite formal.
2. No one paid any attention to you on the street when your bag opened up...I assure you.
3. Always travel with a wrap...always.
4. I wish I were with you.

May 23, 2007 10:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I have no sympathy for you shivering due to your lack of bodyfat.

P.S. Contrary to popular belief, getting cold and wet does not make one sick.

May 24, 2007 4:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have plenty of fat and I still get cold! IT's just windy and bitter up in here!

May 24, 2007 10:34 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

complain. complain. complain. :)

May 24, 2007 2:06 pm  
Blogger Brand New W said...

omg you're in new york! have an absolutely great time!!!

May 24, 2007 4:55 pm  
Blogger brenton said...

The shot of you all on About a Boy was great... how beautiful is your smile!?? Gorgeous
Now, when am i getting the update on who ever it was you went to see?
B
x

May 25, 2007 12:47 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I sat in the window at that McDo too, I wonder if we sat in the same place.

May 25, 2007 8:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home