I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

NY See: Missed connections

While having drinks with the guys at Therapy, it comes to someone’s attention that Billy has been texting a few times during the night. Men and their gadgets are like women and their shoes and handbags: it’s all about the newest and most stylish accessories.

While some of the others flip out their snazzy phones, I say that I can’t even text on my phone because it’s old. To prove it, I pull it out and show it to the others. Their faces say more than words ever can. They’re surprised that phone still exists (and works).
My phone is ghetto. It’s a few years old and resembles a brick. It doesn’t have a camera, can’t download music, and has a rudimentary game of “crabs” as a form of entertainment.

Jenny from the block ain’t got nothin’ on Steven from the ‘hood.

I say I don’t need it for anything but sending and receiving phone calls. It does what it’s supposed to do. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work when I want it to.

**

After walking around for several hours in the area of Union Square, I’m tired and head off to the hotel. I have no desire to get up from my bed, but decide on getting something to eat since I’m hungry. The phone stays with me when I run out and net a nosh, and while I eat it on top of the bed, it’s within reaching distance.

The hours pass and I lie back on the bed and watch a little TV. My eyes begin to blur, and by the time they regain their focus, it’s giving an episode of Law and Order: SVU.

Did the phone ring? If it did, I must’ve been out of it, I think. I turn around and pick up the phone. No little envelope on top of the display. Nothing. Maybe he was having fun and just forgot.

Either way, since it’s late, I throw on my PJs and slide under the covers.

**

When I meet up with G, he asks whether or not I received his messages. He says he called twice and left messages – once when he left a show and once at the bar – and he also texted me. I didn’t get a single one. There’s no sign in my call history.

As we go around and take in the sights before our show, he mentions I would’ve enjoyed myself last night. He and his friend went to a hole-in-the-wall bar in Greenwich Village, had drinks and listened to drunk college students sing bad karaoke. Sounded like fun, especially when it’s at the cost of seeing others make fools of themselves.

I wish I could’ve been there instead of being zonked out in my hotel room. Yes, I realize that I could’ve called him, but I didn’t. I’m from the school of when someone says they’re going to do something, I let them do it - an assertion of one’s independence.

But, I can’t go back in time. Whether or not messages were sent is irrelevant. Whether it’s my phone, his phone, my provider, his provider, or the fact there’s some force-field around me that fucks up the space-time continuum, I don’t know.

Maybe all of this can be resolved with a new phone.

Anyone care to offer me one?

9 Comments:

Blogger A Lewis said...

As sporty, sexy, fresh, alive, a man of such social structure and the circles you run in.....with THIS phone? Is is analog technology? Analog is going away next February.......no longer will work.....maybe that's a US deal....but I think it's worldwide. Sorry you weren't able to hook.

May 30, 2007 9:51 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

i need a new phone too. especially after a snide comment in the subway by some girl and her friend when the saw me whip out my phone, 'i had that phone...like 2 years ago.'

at least im not like 10 years ago...oh my god.

May 30, 2007 11:31 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

It's not that bad a phone. I saw one just like it at the Smithsonian Museum of Ancient History.

:)

Seriously, you should be able to get a new phone for free from your current company. Just call them up and say you want to upgrade your phone. Ask them what deals they have. You may have to sign up for another 2 years, but I bet you'd get a new phone before the week is out.

If they give you a hard time, tell them that their competitor is offering you a new one. I'm pretty sure that they'll want to keep you and will probably make you some offer.

Good luck.

May 30, 2007 11:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Europe was a little ahead with cell phones. I got my first cell phone in 1998, and it was...yours! Call your provider and let them ship a new one for free to you! Or go online and pick one that's free with a new contract. I prefer the flip flops models.

May 30, 2007 12:15 pm  
Blogger Brand New W said...

what shows did u watch? i can't wait to hear all about THAT! tell me u want to Xanadu.....

May 30, 2007 5:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have called G. I bet he was very disappointed. Very.

May 30, 2007 8:23 pm  
Blogger Kevin said...

Yeah, you at least need texting capabilities. I'm all about texting.

May 31, 2007 9:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say time for an upgrade. analog is being phased out this fall in Canada. there are tonnes of free phones out there. just get the plan that works for you... and one that can txt.

May 31, 2007 3:57 pm  
Blogger eric3000 said...

Is that one of those satellite phones the army uses?

As everyone has pointed out, you can get a new one for free. Stop being stubborn.

May 31, 2007 7:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home