I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

2, 3, 4, 5

Before my nightly shower, I usually undress in front of my bedroom mirror and place my clothes on my leather club chair beside my bed. While I pull off my sweater and pants, I take a glance at my reflection and begin to giggle. The giggle soon becomes a full-blown laugh.

“Oh my God! I look so stooopid!” I say, looking at my reflection. “Is that really me?”

My hands slide down my stomach, pressing every few inches.

“Two... three... four… five? That’s not possible.” I count again. And again. After the third count, I laugh at the preposterousness of the fact. Even in cases of vanity, I still come up with an odd number.

“It’s like they put the right stomach on the wrong person.”
For the better part of two decades, I was the fat one, the one who made people laugh with self-effacing jokes. Now, when looking in the mirror, the fat one is gone, replaced with a thinner imposter. The person on the outside doesn't match the one on the inside. Where's the double chin, man boobs, five stomach rolls, and thighs that made sparks when I walked? They're not there. It's a jarring image to me. And, I don't like it.

After the shower and for the rest of the night, I unconsciously pass the time pressing the palm of my hand against my stomach to make sure the reflection wasn’t playing tricks on me. It's not.

Note: This post is dedicated to all those who called me fat/out of shape... and, by the way, it's more ripped, now. Ew.

16 Comments:

Blogger alexsander said...

its looking good! :P

June 13, 2007 11:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the success of your efforts. You are looking good.

But remember the pain of your past when you see someone who is fat or out of shape. Hold your tongue. Do not visit upon them the pain that you endured.

June 14, 2007 6:18 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Not bad 't all. Mine's melting into a one-pack lately, lol.

June 14, 2007 7:28 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

nice... looking good... keep it up...

June 14, 2007 7:58 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

You know me (far too well)...numerous thoughts come to mind:
1. You're looking good
2. Congratulations on the patience, tenacity, and stick-to-it energy to make it happen...very admirable.
3. How did you accomplish it?
4. I want to sit in the leather club chair and have the clothes thrown on me.
5. You'll never want to see my stomach...oops, too late.....from last weeks' post. Not so pretty like my friend Steven.

June 14, 2007 11:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't realize! Coming from a very similar background (weight-wise) as you, I salute you. Twice. And heck, you've actually got the pack - I never seem to get that.

Also, I sympathize with the not being able to shake the old-you expectation. I think it helps once you realized that you are doing that - it helps you fight against it and start liking who you are physically.

Cause there's a lot to like there.

Oh there I go saluting again.

June 14, 2007 12:44 pm  
Blogger dpaste said...

Wow. I've always been thin and I don't even look that good.

June 14, 2007 5:52 pm  
Blogger Jake said...

Woof!

June 14, 2007 7:22 pm  
Blogger brenton said...

Nice work! I'm always inspired by people that turn themselves around in some way!
Great transformation

June 14, 2007 9:08 pm  
Blogger Marquis said...

Congrats! it's always nice when you start seeing the changes in your body. Keep it up. Just don't change who you are inside.

June 14, 2007 9:45 pm  
Blogger Brettcajun said...

Very nice Stephen. Obviously, you don't pig out at Taco Bell and order a #4 with a large Dr. Pepper like SOME people I know. ;) Looking good. ;)

June 15, 2007 9:32 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

Ummm .... wow.

June 15, 2007 12:38 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

Serious comments first, congratulations, and keep it up. I'm sure you can remember the rawness you felt when people made comments about you, whether they were just trying to be "helpful" or funny or whatever, those comments do hurt when we receive them. Thanks for reminding us how long some of the effects of those sort of comments can be.

On a less than serious note, I'm sure part of you was just trying to tell us about how much you love to feel yourself, over and over and over again!

June 15, 2007 1:08 pm  
Blogger Txsmurf said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful - I hope to have the same success. You look amazing!

June 15, 2007 2:45 pm  
Blogger DavisMcDavis said...

Great job, sailor! I'd be interested in hearing your diet and exercise program...so I can copy it. :-)

June 18, 2007 9:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn sexy bod you got there Steven.

June 18, 2007 6:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home