I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Antioxidrunk

An antioxidant is a chemical compound or substance that inhibits oxidation. Certain vitamins, such as vitamin E, may protect body cells from damage caused by the oxidative effects of free radicals. One of the easiest ways to take them into one’s system is by eating foods and drinking liquids rich in these substances.

Pomegranates contain a generous amount of antioxidants, but since they’re a little messy to eat (and difficult to find, depending on the time of year), there’s Pom – a juice available on the shelves of most supermarkets.

The juice itself has a rich and complex flavour. It resembles a mixture of various fruits with an earthiness found in tannic wines. Pom is not for everyone.

But, I’ve found a way to make it more tolerable for those with picky palates…

Vodka.

Being a fan of mixed drinks (or any drinks, for that matter), I’ve discovered that a little bit of vodka can help ease the edge of the Pom juice. Although my preferred mixture is that of one part liquor to three parts booze, it's best to use one part liquor to three parts juice.

And, you don't have to use a shaker (too much work) or ice (that dilutes the alcohol). Just throw both of them in a tumbler and enjoy.

What's best about this mixture is the more you drink, the healthier it is. Whether or not the vodka counteracts the effects of pomegranate juice, I don't know. But, I can say that my body’s cells are buzzed.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving the pomtini!!

June 13, 2007 12:36 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I've been wanting to try that. But it's like $3.95 or something. I can make a mean screwdriver with the 25 cent OJ from Dollarama, lol.

June 13, 2007 6:51 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

man after my own heart... i must try this drink you speak of... does it taste good with orange vodka...hmmm how fruity in pom... makes me want to skip work and try it..

June 13, 2007 7:33 am  
Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

"a little bit of vodka can help ease the edge..."
They told us that in Grade 3 - you don't need to repeat it.

June 13, 2007 8:07 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Squeeze of lime? Mint sprig? Don't you love being healthy?

June 13, 2007 9:41 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

youd do anything for a drink wouldnt you?

June 13, 2007 11:33 am  
Blogger Franciscus van Munster said...

In my (vast) experience, vodka makes ANYTHING (and anybody) taste better and go down easier ;-)

June 13, 2007 11:57 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

You are so Oprah-esque. Pomegranate martinis were one of her favorite holiday treats last year.

I think I'll start calling you Gayle.

June 15, 2007 3:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home