I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Crackle and pop

Most people can crack their joints. Whether it’s their fingers, toes, necks, or jaws (ouch!), it doesn’t require much effort. The sound is what alerts people to a successful pop.

But, how does it happen? To quote Wikipedia…

“When a manipulation is performed, the applied force separates the articular surfaces of a fully encapsulated synovial joint, which in turn creates a reduction in pressure within the joint cavity. In this low pressure environment, some of the gases that are dissolved in the synovial fluid (which are naturally found in all bodily fluids) leave solution creating a bubble or cavity, which rapidly collapses upon itself, resulting in a "clicking" sound…”

Although I can easily crack my fingers (it relaxes them after clicking away on a keyboard), I’ve recently discovered I am able to crack my chest. It's audible and in stereophonic sound. It happens when I get up or sit down, and I have to use my arms to push my chest forward/backwards. Oddly enough, it doesn't occur when I'm krumping.

It could be due to odd positioning when sleeping (I don’t get to sleep much), improper form when exercising (I don't exercise, so that’s ruled out), or getting older (again, not bloody likely).

Is this unusual? Is it supposed to mean something? And, why do I immediately have a craving for Rice Krispies when it happens?

7 Comments:

Blogger Timmy said...

that sounds gross!

July 17, 2007 7:50 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

Lends a whole new meaning to the term "crack whore."

July 17, 2007 9:28 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I love it when spouse cracks my toes.

July 17, 2007 10:22 am  
Blogger Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

I think it's a harbinger of death. Or I could be wrong.

July 17, 2007 4:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"getting older (again, not bloody likely)" Yeah, right. 30 is going to be knocking on your door very quickly, my friend.

July 17, 2007 8:52 pm  
Blogger Salem said...

You'd think the scientific explanation would help, but it's still just gross. end of story.

July 18, 2007 12:20 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

phewwwww... i thought you were gonna talk about something else cracking and creaking when you manipulated it!

July 18, 2007 10:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home