I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Fingerling Ling Ling

He’s sitting across from me at the table and I can’t help but look at his hands. Specifically, I’m staring at his nails. It’s as if he was ravenous after his meal, and decided to gnaw his fingers for dessert.

As good-looking as he is, his hands take him down a notch in the appearance category. And, I don’t want those nails anywhere near me because they look like they can leave a nasty scratch.

Ever since I was a young boy, my father always told me that your hands and your shoes say a lot about your appearance. Even the best suit, sweetest-smelling cologne, or snazziest haircut can’t hide the fact that you have hands that look worse-for-wear.

I understand his point.

In his youth, he didn’t have a lot of money to spend on his appearance, so he took care of what he had. As a manual labourer, his hands could get roughed-up, but he took care of them because even though he worked with them, he didn’t want to give the impression that he didn’t care about them.

Do you want someone to shake your hand who looks like they’ve been touching hydrochloric acid? Not me. Money can’t hide the fact that you don’t care about the basics.

So, my hands are always well-kept. They’re (typically) well-moisturized. The nails are trimmed and shaped, clean, with no sludge between them.


Ling Ling can’t do what I do for the price, which is, of course, nothing, because I take care of them at home and not at a salon.

The shoes are another story for another time…

10 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

Proper nail care is very difficult! I hate that they can be perfect when I leave the house, but by the time I'm done perusing the paper, there's black shit under them.

July 19, 2007 7:28 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

damn right it is hard. god...mine do look like theyve been dipped in acid.

July 19, 2007 11:22 am  
Blogger Timmy said...

I bite mine. They are fugly.

July 19, 2007 2:11 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

don't go hatin nail biters! perhaps you can direct a future commentary to the stress that causes us to bite em in the first place.

July 19, 2007 3:11 pm  
Blogger S said...

If it makes any difference, I am always picking at my nails (discreetly) to keep them clean.

My sister hates it when I do that and it drives her up the wall.

July 19, 2007 3:53 pm  
Blogger London Preppy said...

Is it freaky and despicable that I like rough looking unkept hands? Goes with a certain rugged look I guess?

July 19, 2007 4:19 pm  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Daddy was right....gotta have pretty nails....finger and toe. And, believe me, I do check....and it sounds like you do too. Shoes? I'd prefer to go without...but if I have to.....they should match the belt and gown. And no white after Labor Day.

July 19, 2007 5:27 pm  
Blogger Kevin said...

I have that same ring.

July 20, 2007 11:53 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

And yes, I bite mine too .. usually related to nerves and/or stress.

July 20, 2007 11:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm definitely a nail/cuticle-biter. Better than when I was in science, but it's still a minor problem.

Heh... seems from the comments that I'm not alone.

July 23, 2007 1:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home