I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Birthday plans

Lunch is over and I’m in my mother’s kitchen washing the dishes. I might as well help out since I didn’t pay for the meal. While I’m drying a couple of plates, my mother asks me what I’m planning to do for my birthday.

“I dunno. Maybe going out with S for lunch,” I say.

“Why don’t you go down to your sister’s home?” she asks. My mother spends a few days a week at my sister's to help take care of my two nieces while my sister and BIL are at work.

“Why would I want to do that?” My tone is annoyed. “You’d want me to help babysit for my birthday? What’s the fun in that?”

“Well, you could come down, and we could all have lunch together.”

“But, I wouldn’t want to drive down there for lunch. There aren’t any restaurants in that area that I’d want to go to.”

“But, we can all celebrate together! You, and me and your father -” I cut her off mid-sentence.

“Oh, no. I do not want to do that. It’s always the same thing.” I flip my head back and sigh. “I want to go someplace, then he complains that he doesn’t want to go there, and we end up settling on some place he wants to go to make him happy. We should be making me happy because it’s my special day.”

If he has his way, it’s going to be a repeat of my university graduation.

**

To celebrate the culmination of four years of hard work, I make reservations at a nice restaurant that is very difficult to get into because it's incredibly popular. I'm saving it for this day because I feel like I deserve to commemorate my diploma with a big plate of pasta.

But, there's a problem: my father doesn't want to go because it's a 10 minute drive downtown. So, a fight breaks out and my father and I stop talking to each other for the rest of the day. No one ends up going out, and we all stay and heat up something to eat in my apartment.

**

When my mother realizes the conversation is over due to the silence on my behalf, she goes into the dining room and begins doddling around.

I am not going to sacrifice the one day that's supposed to celebrate my existance for the wants of others. It isn't fair to me. Let them do what they want on their birthdays. If it ever comes to that, I’d rather stay at home.

And, due to the fact I haven’t had any plans for the past few years, it's inevitable I won't be doing anything in 2008 since no one wants to do anything with me... again.

8 Comments:

Blogger Random Thinker said...

is your birthday coming up? you should tell us about these things!

January 09, 2008 9:16 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

damn right! i second random!

January 09, 2008 10:36 am  
Blogger danny/ink2metal said...

hey steven,

enjoy your birthday no matter how you choose to celebrate!

*hugs*

January 09, 2008 2:36 pm  
Blogger A Lewis said...

"Flip my head back and sigh"? Oh my. That must have been pretty. (Course, with you, everything is pretty....). I can't believe that daddy wouldn't let you go where you'd like to. That's odd. If you were here, I'd give you 25 birthday spankings (which reminds me of an upcoming post that I need to write). HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MY FRIEND. I SEND YOU THE VERY BEST THAT LIFE CAN OFFER. If you can get to Portland by tomorrow, lunch is on me.

January 09, 2008 5:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know if I was there I'd take you out for a grand, glorious birthday.

January 09, 2008 9:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll take you to dinner.

you just need to get to dc first.

January 09, 2008 11:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!
You do whatever you want for your birthday...It's your day to enjoy anyway you want. Wishing you the best - Now eat some pasta already! LOL

Best,
a.

January 10, 2008 10:08 am  
Blogger DavisMcDavis said...

I can't imagine anything more fun for your birthday than babysitting for your sister and arguing with your father...oh wait, actually I can think of several things. Never mind. :-) Nothing is more annoying than people who get all picky about where to eat - that drives me batty.

January 10, 2008 12:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home