I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Double entendre, double life

Not too long ago, while talking with a new acquaintance, I happen to mention something that didn’t fall well with him. In fact, he didn’t like it. Not at all. So much so that he stopped talking to me.

It wasn’t anything horrible, but something that (unwittingly) hit close to home. To paraphrase, while in the middle of a sarcastic conversation between the two of us, I tell him he’s leading a double life because of the duality of his work-life situation. I didn’t think it was wrong because it was true – he has two very different lives.

What I later find out, after not hearing back from him for a week is that he is leading a double life. Not the kind of life that entails dueling personalities, but the one of “happy homemaker” during the day and “dirty, dirty boy” at night. How was I supposed to know about that? It’s like Melrose Place come to life.

And because of his closeted existence, I no longer have a (potentially good) friend since I opened the doors to something that was supposed to remain shut.

8 Comments:

Blogger madamerouge said...

dirty like... his night job is in boystown?

(I love my new rss blog list) :-)

June 24, 2008 12:16 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Consider yourself lucky. My view is that if you can lead such a life, lying to me will be a breeze. I avoid such characters.

June 24, 2008 7:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my thoughts are, my friends see me in my bathing suit, so it is really no worse posting similar shots on the web...(though some of mine seem to be a bit more risky sometimes...)...but if had your body, you would see a lot more of me... but that is me... keep it up... happy monday!

June 24, 2008 7:43 am  
Blogger Brice said...

I agree with Tornwordo. Anyone who lies like that doesn't deserve your friendship.

June 24, 2008 9:11 am  
Blogger DavisMcDavis said...

That story would be better with the salacious details filled out a little more. Is he a high school honor student by day and Hollywood hooker by night...or is he just messy?

June 24, 2008 9:23 am  
Blogger TED said...

I agree with the calls for additional details, but not so much with the lying stuff. People who keep a part of their lives private aren't lying: they're just keeping a part of their lives private.

I do think that dirty boy overreacted, but maybe he'll come around in time. Or not.

BTW, you're far too young to know this, but for me the phrase "Happy Homemaker" evokes memories of Sue Ann from the Mary Tyler Moore Show. She was both the Happy Homemaker and a dirty girl, but I think all of her co-workers knew that.

June 24, 2008 10:34 am  
Blogger dit said...

I agree with tornwordo. You can do much better. In the least someone more genuine and with at least some integrity.

No t that there is a problem with a “happy homemaker” or a “dirty, dirty boy”. I adore both of them. Just do not blame someone else for bringing it up.

June 24, 2008 4:25 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

geez, I don't reply to 2 emails, and you think I stopped talking to you?

OK, I promise to write soon.

June 24, 2008 8:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home