I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Entering a contest to win

Being a person with a mild competitive nature, I find it hard to pass by a contest without entering. Even though most of them I know I'll never win, there are some I know I have a chance of being up on the podium.

Recently, an opportunity arose to enter a contest, judged by the readers of a particular site. It was strictly superficial in nature - all about the face and body and nothing else. In a lapse of higher-than-usual self-esteem, I decide to send in some pics.

When typing out my entry, I begin to think otherwise about the competition. Why should I send in pictures of myself that will only be ridiculed by others? Last time around, two of the finalists were frauds, and the winner was known to be a nutjob. I might think I look pretty good, but pretty good doesn't cut it, anymore (especially when you're competing against "models").

And, I don't have photoshop, so my pictures wouldn't achieve the airbrushed quality that's so prevalent in today's society.

My fingers click on the keyboard, putting down a series of words, asking for a reason to enter; if there isn't one (whether given by me, or given to me), then I won't bother. I'm not given a reason, and I can't come up with one. Maybe I was hoping for a Miss America-type of contest, where the contestants are looked at with a more critical eye because of their beauty and brains, not tits and ass.

Maybe I'll start my own contest for fun. Looking at more than just the superficial. Find the beauty within, not the beauty without.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am the same way with contest and I actually entered the gay.com thing and have somehow made it to the finals... they are freaking flying me out to san fran in a couple of weeks... you are much better looking than me, so next time around enter the competition... until then... ummm, please vote for me at the gay.com contest... i would be the silver fox with no shirt and a red tie on... smooches!

October 27, 2008 12:13 am  
Blogger Volker said...

You look great to me just the way you are. I'd rather see an honest image rather than an airbrushed one. Good luck! - Volker

October 27, 2008 12:47 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

ya gotta be in it to win it...

October 27, 2008 9:17 pm  
Blogger about a boy said...

yeah. pretty good does not cut it nowadays.

October 28, 2008 2:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home