I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

After birthday

Even though January 10 is a national holiday, commemorating my birth, it doesn't mean the weather will work in my favour.

**

The snow started to fall around 8 p.m. on Friday night. It seemed safe enough to venture outside at the time. The only thing I didn't realize was the snow wasn't going to stop falling into the next morning.

The plan was to be at the club at 10:30; early enough to avoid some of the crowds, and not-so-early as to appear like a bunch of losers who have nothing to do than go to a club at a really early hour. Because of the snow, those plans changed as we waited for people to arrive at J's (so we could take a couple of cabs at once).

It didn't work out that way, so it was every man for himself.

The cab ride to the club should've lasted approximately 5-7 minutes. Instead, it took 25 minutes. Everyone was driving slowly and swerving from side to side, as if they had all gone off their tracks and were magnetized to every other vehicle on the road.

Upon arriving at the club, we were not allowed in because the club was already at capacity. It wouldn't have mattered if we had reservations (which I didn't bother to make because I thought I would've been there an hour before). The snow continued to fall as a group of us waited outside (while a couple of friends waited inside for us).

When we - finally - crossed the threshold, things changed. The music was thumping, the crowd was rubbing elbows, and we were slowly defrosting. A couple of drinks later and a bit of manoeuvring around the masses, we were in a better place.

Of course, I managed to get a hold of table by doing what I do very well: move things out of the way and claim the territory as my own, while feigning ignorance. The group of us sit with our drinks and have a few laughs, oblivious to the fact that it was 1:30 a.m. and we were hungry.

After a trip to a fast food joint, we start to make our way back home. Sadly, everyone else had the same idea, so we were jockeying for the same cabs. While we tried to hail a cab, we ended up making our way back home - it was just easier than waiting in the snow.

The only saving grace was falling into bed at 3 in the morning... and going to sleep at 4.

12 Comments:

Blogger A Lewis said...

So....do you look any older? I'll bet not.

January 13, 2009 10:31 am  
Blogger Justen said...

And falling asleep at 4? Was there someone else in that bed keeping you up that extra hour? :P

January 13, 2009 11:28 am  
Blogger Steve said...

Someone else in bed? Forget that...I want to know just how many someone elses fell into that bed!

January 13, 2009 3:36 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

in bed by 3, going to sleep at 4...

yeah, i have to read in bed before i go to sleep too.

January 13, 2009 3:54 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

mmm hmmm subtle...kind of like my "naps" at all hours of the day...

January 13, 2009 7:19 pm  
Blogger john said...

Happy be-lated birthday!

January 14, 2009 12:21 am  
Blogger Jake said...

Sounds like a successful night to me.

January 14, 2009 12:48 am  
Blogger JCLL said...

So all-in-all it was a good night out....

January 14, 2009 3:08 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

Shit the bed. I missed it. Son of a bitch. (not you. me.)

Hope you had a good one. Had visitors this weekend, and a horrible attack of allergies, and I just got distracted. My humblest apologies.

:(

I suppose, though, that the fact that you are still younger and way hotter than me should balance things out. Suddenly I don't feel as bad. :)

January 14, 2009 3:15 pm  
Blogger madamerouge said...

Happy belated 26th birthday!

January 14, 2009 7:55 pm  
Blogger Brand New W said...

i can't believe u glossed over what i'd consider to be the best part of the evening: fast food joint!!!

January 16, 2009 3:12 pm  
Blogger DavisMcDavis said...

You must have gotten a very interesting book as a present for your birthday, if it kept you up for an hour reading at 3am. :-P

January 20, 2009 4:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home