I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Skin so smooth

Upon meeting a friend of mine at her house, it doesn’t take too long before she begins to inspect my face as if she’s discovering something she hasn’t seen before. Her eyes go up and down and I'm wondering what she's looking at.

“Your skin looks good.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“It’s so smooth.”

“It’s the [insert brand name].” We both laugh. “Honestly, I don’t do anything special to it. I use a scrub once a week, shave regularly and use sunscreen when I remember. That’s it.” I shrug my shoulders.

“Uh huh,” is her response. She doesn’t believe me.

“Serious! But it does look better now than what it did when I was in university, right?” I touch the side of my cheek, justifying my lack of skin regimine.

Funny how that happens. When you’re younger and in the prime of your life (i.e. the 20s), skin should look better, clearer and without any blemishes. Instead, there are a variety of breakouts that no cream can remove, especially before an important event.

Since I’m (slightly) older, my skin should reflect a maturity with a couple of lines and wrinkles, not a smoothness associated with a slab of Perlino. It’s not fair, especially since I’m past my prime. Wine is supposed to get better with age, not your skin.

Still, if I can get a compliment on how youthful I look while growing older, I'll take it. Lord knows I won't be getting many more as the years pass by.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, for many people their skin does look better in the 30's IF they haven't been excessively tanning, smoking and/or drugging. The reason? hormones. The 30's are when your hormones have settled down but have not receded and the ravages of time are still minor.

Now is the time to start that skin care regime so you can haven that youthful appearance 10 years from now.

October 23, 2009 3:29 pm  
Blogger Brand New W said...

i'm going to have zits till i'm 80.

October 23, 2009 4:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home