I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, October 18, 2010

To be referred to

It’s always an odd feeling when someone refers to one of your posts. You never quite know it’s beneficial, or not. Sometimes they mention you in a negative way, and sometimes in a positive one.

Recently, I discovered someone used one of my posts (about being self-effacing) to make a point about their feelings on being complimented. To paraphrase myself, I don’t like it when people compliment me because I never think they’re being fully genuine (and typically want something), and that author felt similarly.

What was interested about the referral was the list of comments. They began in one way and veered off into a completely different direction. But, what was great about the discussion board was it was optimistic; a lot of opinions on a varying degree. Although very few people actually referred to my post, they were doing it indirectly and that caused – positive – interaction between people.

If only I can start a discussion on something as banal as farting in close quarters with people you have to make a good impression on, then I can sleep well tonight.

2 Comments:

Blogger A Lewis said...

I've had more than one person refer to my writing...in a public setting, at dinner or drinks....and typically people that I didn't even know read my site. It's always a bit strange when they bring up dates/times/places or people that I'd forgotten I wrote about. Strange.

October 18, 2010 9:34 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I'll talk farts any time you like baby.

I never try to analyze a compliment, I just say thanks. Why does it have to be so complicated?

October 31, 2010 7:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home