I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Pull one out, two come back

No one said growing older is easy. Although the ravages of time can’t be stopped, they can be avoided with cosmetic surgery, creams, colouring, dimly lit rooms and nearsighted people.

One thing that I have been fortunate to have is a full head of lustrous hair that deserves a Pantene commercial. It’s thick and curly, with a lot of shine and bounce. With the wind-machine on, I whip my head side to side and let the breeze blow my hair around.

Lucky for me, baldness is not genetic, thanks to my mother’s side of the family.

Unlucky for me, there seems to be more and more white hairs are popping up.

It’s not bad and it could be worse. But, because my hair is almost jet black, it’s not very attractive. If my natural hair colour was lighter, it wouldn’t be as noticeable and I could say the white hairs are outrageously expensive highlights.

But, they’re not highlights, they’re white hairs.

They’re inevitable and unstoppable.

It’s the old wives tale coming true: pull out one and two grow in its place.

Stupid old wives.

Instead of yanking them, I trim them as short as possible. It's not easy, but then, beauty is pain, n'est-ce pas? If and when that fails, I use a colour rinse to hide them. For a more permanent solution, I’ll use a semi- or permanent colour.

Or, I could forego all the work and shave my head.

Maybe Kojak had it right all along.

Who loves ya baby?

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

it sucks getting older...i am plucking grey hairs from everywhere...i mean everywhere...

September 08, 2006 6:41 am  
Blogger Lemuel said...

tsk. tsk. as a kojak clone, let me tell you that I'd give my eye teeth for a full head of jet black curly hair with white hairs! and even if you think "it's not very attractive", I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of folks who would disagree with you on your self-appraisment.

September 08, 2006 6:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm quite fond of being bald (having been that way since I was 14), so I've never really known any different. I look at it like this: Since I've been shaving my head, I've saved over $100,000 in haircuts, colors, and trims.

Shame I don't HAVE that money, but, you know.

September 08, 2006 7:34 am  
Blogger Tuna Girl said...

I think those kind of gray hairs, espcially mixed in with black, is incredibly hot. But I'm probably not your target audience.

September 08, 2006 10:31 am  
Blogger S said...

Kelly: Assuming I know what you're talking about... ouch.

Lemuel: I don't have "the Coop" look going for me (or the multi-million dollar inheritance).

Jason: Bald since 14? How is that possible?

TG: Of course you're my target audience: smart and sexy.

Jeff: Nip and tuck until you're a quilt - funny.

September 08, 2006 8:28 pm  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I've decided to love the marks of aging. Feels better and costs less to adore them. We're miracles of nature! (I know you want to slap me, but what's the point in fighting it?)

September 09, 2006 9:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bald since 14: Allergic reaction to anesthesia that caused my hair to fall out in clumps that never grew back. It looked like a derranged barber had attacked my head, so I started shaving my head. Nothing grows in the areas where the hair fell out, so no surgeries possible, and I'm not afan of the sexual side-effects of the "hair pills". So, I just keep this.

September 09, 2006 10:36 am  
Blogger Single Guy said...

white hair? It is a sign of wisdom..and can be sexy...think CNN's Anderson Cooper

September 10, 2006 7:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world Ste! Now, if your hair was blond, you wouldn't notice those things. :-)

September 12, 2006 9:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home