I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Deck the halls

It’s perfectly normal to be shopping in a store, packed to the brim with product and people. But, there’s something inherently wrong doing that out of season.

Walking through a store in October, seeing Hallowe’en candy and costumes on the shelves next to Christmas trees and cards is disconcerting.

Although I do realize stores lay out product almost two months in advance of actual holidays, it not only feels weird, but looks it, too. Who wants to think of Back to School during a July heatwave? Who wants to deck the halls while still wearing t-shirts? Who wants to look at heart-shaped chocolates in January after gaining 12 pounds over the holidays?

Not a fuckin’ person. No one. Nadie. Nessuno. Ninguém.

Store displays should correspond with the appropriate time of the year. Let it be cold when I’m buying things for the holidays. I want people to walk into the store with their coats and caps on, rubbing their hands together for warmth while stomping their feet on the slushy entrance mats. It’s more convincing. Just thinking of that smoosh sound snowy boots sends a chill up my spine.

Literally.

Although, I wouldn’t mind it being 25 degrees in December.

Note: It snowed last night. God works in mysterious ways. Bastard.

14 Comments:

Blogger kevin said...

Hi Steven
I think xmas stuff is in the shops waaaaay to early!

We get the stuff in the shops when it is cold in september and we should be buying it when it is warm in November (our seasons are the reverse of yours)

Still, just think yourself lucky, over here we have the Easter eggs on the shelves already.

HAPPY EASTER.
Kevin in New Zealand.

November 20, 2006 4:00 am  
Blogger Lemuel said...

I think the Deity is trying to tell you something and he has a wicked sense of humor. :)

November 20, 2006 5:57 am  
Blogger RIC said...

You're absolutely right, Steven: ninguém! But then again, what on earth would happen to sacrosanct consumerism?...
And... 25ºC in December? Thank you, but no, thank you; I prefer 10ºC. Goes better with the season!
(I liked what I read! Thank you!)
Ricardo

November 20, 2006 7:02 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Well there are only 28 shopping days left....lol.

November 20, 2006 7:08 am  
Blogger Timmy said...

Torn is right.

November 20, 2006 8:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no. no. no. no. no.
Christmas, your charms are lost on me until December (and even then it's a stretch).

November 20, 2006 10:27 am  
Blogger Pablo said...

Yes. I agree.

I'm not big on the holiday season. Yeah, I'm a grinch.

November 20, 2006 10:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have a thing for men in galoshes? I'm sure I could walk around in the muck outside for a bit to get my body temp down if you thought that was apropos. [talk about kink]
kb

November 20, 2006 10:51 am  
Blogger your judgemental aunt said...

baaaaaa humbug!

November 20, 2006 1:11 pm  
Blogger S said...

Kevin: Easter stuff in November? Cray-zee.

Lemuel: That was my original ending, actually.

Ric: It's also getting nippy where you live (believe me, eu sei).

Torn: 28 days to freak out.

Timmy: Sadly, he is.

Liquid: My list is short. Lucky me.

Salem: It feels strange when you see people wearing snowman sweaters with no snow around.

Pablo: I'm not a grinch, but I find the consumerism off putting.

KB: Yeah. Those big, yellow ones.

YJA: Me, or you?

November 20, 2006 1:21 pm  
Blogger your judgemental aunt said...

me

November 20, 2006 5:16 pm  
Blogger Single Guy said...

I miss snow.

You want 25 degrees. Come to Sydney. It is freaking 39 degrees today...HOT!

November 20, 2006 5:28 pm  
Blogger Ryan said...

Smoosh.

You're like fucking popular, dude.
You should like fucking link to me.

November 20, 2006 7:34 pm  
Blogger madamerouge said...

Although, I wouldn’t mind it being 25 degrees in December.

I'm sure those days aren't far off. The planet's not long for this universe...

November 20, 2006 9:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home