I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Three things you'd change about your looks

As a means of stimulating some interesting conversation from a rather dull day, I come up with open-ended questions to ask my friends to see whether, or not, they’ll lead to some opened-ended answers.

Unfortunately, some questions can elicit a two-word answer, so I retort to asking something stupid to see if our talks can last longer than a few minutes.

**

When my friend S and I are sitting at a coffee shop, I bring up a topic that always elicits an answer from every person I’ve asked:

“If you could change any three things about your looks, what would they be and why?” I ask, blowing cool air onto the hot coffee that’s leaving behind a smoky cloud on the top of the cup.

After a short moment, S looks up at me. “Everything,” she says.

“That’s not fair. You can’t change everything.” I open my eyes wide and tilt my head to the side.

She goes back, thinks about it, and tells me her three things. “What about you? What are your three things?” She picks up her cup and brings it to her mouth.

When it comes to my physicality, I choose three things that aren’t available on the shelf, or under a surgeon’s scalpel.

“I’d want to be taller, I wouldn’t want to have any body hair - except my eyebrows and eyelashes - because I hate shaving and I find body hair useless…” and I leave the third one hanging like a bungee jumper, swinging from the rope, back and forth, until someone unlatches him/her from the harness.

She looks at me, intently, waiting for the third.

“I’m not too sure what my third one would be. I’m sure there are several things I wouldn’t mind changing, but it’s a tough decision.” It becomes the scene in Sophie’s Choice, where the heroine has to pick between her two children, and I don’t want to be the little girl she offers up to the Nazis.

She wants an answer, judging by her facial expression.

“I dunno. Maybe I wouldn’t want to go bald.” Technically, that doesn't count, but I hope S doesn't notice. She doesn’t seem too happy with the answer. She probably expected some flaw to be repaired.

Lord knows there are people who have spent money for some of the features I already have (and I think they should receive a refund).


There’s a reason why I look the way I do, and no one else looks like me; I wouldn't want that burden imposed on anyone else. I'm not a perfect physical specimen, but I could look a hell of a lot worse than I already do.

But, she lets it go, and we continue sipping on our hot drinks.

At least this conversation lasted more than two words.

Question: What are your three things (if you want to change anything)?

13 Comments:

Blogger Random Thinker said...

hot lips

cute nose

penetrating eyes


need I go on?

June 22, 2007 12:21 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

That falls into the category of "wrong thinking" in my book, as we get older our physical flaws multiply - best to embrace them.

Funny though, I've always wished I were shorter.

June 22, 2007 6:32 am  
Blogger Marquis said...

Wow! that's a good question
1)to be slightly taller
2)more hair on head(damn getting older)
3)Hmmmm. I will have to get back to you on that one.

It's weird how we view ourselves versus how other's see us.

June 22, 2007 7:41 am  
Blogger dantallion said...

I'm with Wordo on this one. Life's too short to focus on that kind of "what's wrong with me". If I'm going to be self-critical, it's more about those character flaws that the people around me end up having to deal with. Those are realistically very modifiable - and it doesn't involve surgery.

June 22, 2007 8:33 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

Can "entire face" count for 1?

June 22, 2007 10:08 am  
Blogger Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

Let's do our three favorite parts of ourselves... or the three things we get the most compliments on.

June 22, 2007 12:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. To be athletically build instead of being a bony cat.
2. No body hair from the cervix downwards.
3. A perfect rip cage instead of a twisted one.


After these changes, I think I would be happy ever after.

June 22, 2007 2:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't think it's unhealthy to name these things...sure we get older, and have to embrace our flaws.

For me: a bubble butt, flatter stomach, less greying.

OK, so the things I LIKE: my chest, my eyes, my feet :)

June 23, 2007 10:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and BTW...Steven you are very handsome...and Kevin! Please, you are a hottie!

June 23, 2007 10:05 am  
Blogger Franciscus van Munster said...

I would like a butt, to be shorter, and to have my thick wavey hair back :-)

June 25, 2007 4:02 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

i used to want a different nose. and have my ears pinned back slightly.

to quote from salt n pepa teh body beautiful, 'everybodys beautiful in their own way. express yourself every day. and when you got joy on the inside it shows on the out. be confident and youre beautiful without a doubt. youre absolutely gorgeous, dont ya know? so you got the body beautiful glow.'

i wouldnt change a thing today...well...except for a better butt.

June 25, 2007 1:59 pm  
Blogger Kevin said...

Thanks flipflopboy. *blush*

June 25, 2007 3:41 pm  
Blogger Sh@ney said...

Hmmm pertaining to the whole illusion: I guess a cute snout, curly hair & nice thighs...But I will take what I got and go with it...Besides, paper bags are cheap if I really want a makeover!!

June 29, 2007 8:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home