I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Fuck Faulkner

English grammar teachers should be appalled at the state of today's writing. It’s even scarier to think that people who string together a series of words consider themselves writers. The last time I checked, writing doesn’t work that way.

Of course, many writers hide behind the reasoning that it's their style. True, everyone has their own style, but style shouldn’t be a replacement for poor grammar skills. Writing in a stylized way doesn’t mean you’re good, and copying someone else's style means you lack originality. The pretentious ones are even worse (and deserve their own rant).

And, don't get me started on people who write one, long, string of conscious sentence that makes no sense. It's like their brain is speeding at 100 km/hr, and their fingers can't keep up. What the fuck are you trying to say? Are the drugs finally kicking in?

But, what do I know? My work has only appeared several times in papers, magazines, and various online publications.

Don't get me wrong; I’m not claiming to be Faulkner. In fact, I don't care for his work. Fuck Faulkner. But, some people think that taking writing courses and receiving a piece of paper with an embossed signature is more than enough. It isn't. It doesn’t mean much, actually. Schools are money-making businesses. They’ll cash your cheque just as soon as it clears.

Then again, there are people who think my writing isn’t very good. And, those people I don’t care about their opinions because they probably can't write a half-decent sentence without a spelling mistake.

Note: I'm back to being angry. I miss the feeling.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anger can be a fountain.

October 10, 2007 12:58 am  
Blogger Chris said...

God, I borrowed "the Corrections" from a friend. The entire book is one long, dragged out, "I'm so deep and philosophical but I really don't know how to take a breather and shut the fuck up so people can figure out what the hell I'm saying and I'm also personally against the use of periods so I just keep going and going until lesser readers give up and die."

October 10, 2007 10:36 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

don't get me started... i have pet peeves about my own writing that could fill a phone book. and i have pet peeves about other people's use, or misuse of the english language.

irregardless, i think alot of ppl often use the word "fuck" in writing for impact... I am not one of those fucks. i tend to use the triple period for my emphasis... its my little way of saying i have many many more words i could write, many thoughts i could offer, but alas, i am being considerate of my readers, and letting them use their own immagination to...

October 10, 2007 11:30 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

goodness. i dont want to know what you think of my writing.

October 10, 2007 12:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home