I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Parity

With the Canadian dollar being equal (or higher than equal to) the U.S. dollar in recent days, I find it hard purchasing items above the border, when it’s always a better proposition to go below it.

Personally, I am all for a booming ecomony… especially when it benefits me.

But, I don’t understand this disparity between prices. I do realize when items are designed/marketed/sold to other markets, prices are set according to the stock market value of the currencies between the countries doing business. I don’t realize is why don’t they alter the prices afterwards.

If the gas station can change prices 18 times in a ½ hour period, why can’t a merchant do the same? It’s as simple as printing and placing a sticker on an old price – which I know is doable because I’ve worked in retail.

I was never one to buy a $35 hardcover book when it was $22 in the U.S. (I read them from the library, or buy them second-hand), but the issue of parity is pointless.

It makes me want to gas up my Little Lexus, drive down to the U.S., and do a little shopping. Oh, and visit a couple people while I’m there because I might as well get my dollar’s worth (even though hotel rates are crazy).

2 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Don't worry, I'll probably write something angry tomorrow.

October 09, 2007 3:03 pm  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Hotel's are cheap if you use Priceline. The price thing is irritating me too. Time to buy on line or head south.

And a very Happy (albeit belated) Thanksgiving to you!

(lol, my word verification is "legwx"

October 09, 2007 4:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home