I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, March 02, 2009

Cell by date

For years, people have been commenting on the vintage of my phone. Commenting isn’t the word; insulting is the more correct term. It’s so old that people wonder if it still works. Truth be told, I’ve had it for eight years and it never let me down.

Its main purpose is to contact people in a quick manner. It's not used for texting, or spending five minutes on the phone, trying to decipher who is going to meet whom, where and when.

So, why would I trade it in? Because it’s rather basic, even for me.

Because new products are introduced to the market (almost every six months), my phone has aged exponentially. It had limited texting abilities, no camera, no web surfing options, had only six rings to choose from, and my battery would only last for 15 minutes on a phone call (which is a good thing if you don’t want to talk on the phone for very long).

So, I finally did it. I went ahead and purchased a new phone. It wasn’t without its drama (then again, nothing is without its drama when it involves me). It was my Christmas and birthday present. And, for what it cost, it should’ve been given to me as a gift from my cell phone provider.

It’s sleek, thin and wrapped in black. Basically, it’s me, only digital.

Of course, I’m not going to throw it out. It’s a collector’s item. Also, if my new phone happens to break down in less than 8 years, than I have a back-up.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you know how my Moto fell in a public toilet some time ago. I still didn't buy myself a new one. But after reading this post, I think maybe I should.

What cell did you get?

Take care,
Tee

March 02, 2009 8:47 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

I have become such a phone geek that I start looking WAY ahead of the date they will allow me to get a new phone. I love to explore and see 'the new'. But I really dig people like you who are prone to conservatism and restraint. So, you can send dirty pictures on the new one....right? You know my number.

March 02, 2009 10:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're going through the same thing here right now. I had the same old phone sine we signed up with our cell-provider. Two things evolved, technology on the phones and a digression of customer service with our provider.

We're now about to make the plunge into a new company and a new set of phones!!

-C

March 02, 2009 1:57 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

welcome to the future...

March 02, 2009 3:43 pm  
Blogger Phronk said...

Eight years? Don't you know that if you're not upgrading your phone every 3 months, you're missing out on connecting with everyone in novel and exciting ways?

Your new phone is probably already obsolete. You need whatever's coming out tomorrow.

March 02, 2009 7:29 pm  
Blogger Doomed But Cheerful! said...

Mobile phone? Like 'not fixed to the wall'? Amazing - what will they think of next? Must rush, I have to catch the last post ...hin

March 04, 2009 5:04 am  
Blogger madamerouge said...

I'm the last North American to not have a "cellular telephone" device.

March 13, 2009 6:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home