I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Wrong day, wrong time, wrong job

It’s another interview day and I’m prepped. The questions have been answered in my head, the job description has been printed out and studied, and the company has been reviewed. The only thing that’s left is to meet the interviewer(s).

By the time I arrive at the location, I head to the front desk and give them my name. She looks a little perplexed when she’s on the phone. The receptionist tells me to sit down and wait.

Two large women appear out of the back and greet me. We say a few pleasantries, shake hands and we go into a board room.

One of them is surprised I came. I ask why. She tells me the interview was last week.

“I’m sorry, I don’t understand,” I say while leaning forward, as if I went spontaneously deaf.

“The interview was last week,” says the older of the two.

“When we spoke on the phone, you said it was the 6th.” I know what I heard on the phone.

“I said Friday. Last Friday.”

“No, you said the 6th.” I begin to sound defensive. “You never said Friday.”

“I said the 6th.”

“But the 6th wasn’t Friday. The 6th was Tuesday.”

“I said the 6th.”

No, you said Friday. And, Friday isn’t the 6th.”

“Well, since you’re here, we might as well continue with the interview.” She sounds a little pissed, but I don’t care. It’s not my fault she doesn’t have a recent calander.

As they talk about the position, I begin to realize they’re looking for a web designer and not what they originally asked for in the original posting. I printed out the description before coming to the interview and it said knowledge of design was an asset, but it didn’t say it was the main responsibility.

When the interview is over, we say our goodbyes, they say they’re going to follow up in the next couple of days. I go home, knowing very well it didn’t go well.

The next day I get a phone call from them. I didn’t get the job. What a surprise.

5 Comments:

Blogger A Lewis said...

Umm, I'm totally confused......I have no idea when to be there.

May 17, 2010 11:22 am  
Blogger  said...

hmmm~ don't be upset or pissed off~ there will be another vacancy waiting for u :)

good luck

May 17, 2010 11:33 pm  
Blogger Brand New W said...

sorry to hear about that... best of luck in the hunt though!

May 18, 2010 3:21 pm  
Blogger drew said...

I don't think you would want to work for a company that can't even schedule an interview correctly! It is probably for the best.. Good luck!!

May 19, 2010 7:17 pm  
Blogger sprinkles said...

I've had some really bad interviews but so far none where we one of us got the date and/or time wrong.

Good luck to you. I've been trying to find work since last October with absolutely NO luck whatsoever!

June 03, 2010 4:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home