I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Pop

Pop music is sweet, bubbly, low in calories and fills you up, only to make you want more when you’re done with it.

Just like soft drinks.

Ever since I was cognizant of melodies and lyrics, I have always liked pop music. It makes me want to sing and dance, and it puts a smile on my face whenever there’s a particular song I like comes on the radio.

But, not everyone shares this opinion.

Some people get bitter taste in their mouth when they hear the term “pop music.” They claim it to be made my talentless hacks and created for the mass consumption. Instead, they whip out names of artists and performers you’ve never heard of, and the ones you know, you know you don’t like because there aren’t any discernible qualities of melodies and lyrics that you find particularly enjoyable.

They think because their austere taste in music is more eccentric and esoteric, they’re better than you are.

Ok. That’s fine.

But, they should remember this…

Not everyone’s tastes run along the same lines, but they’re not supposed to. Just as I don’t malign others' preferences, they shouldn’t mock mine.

Not all non-pop music is good, just as not all pop music is shite.

With the good, comes the bad. For every Diet Coke, there’s a Pepsi One. Sure, they may contain similar ingredients, but the combination of water, sugars, carbonated gases and colours, the end results are very distinct and different.

Just like music.

Whether it leaves a sweet smile on your face, or a bitter taste in your mouth, there is music for everyone.

Shouldn't music make the people come together?

6 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

I like Pepsi One.

September 13, 2006 8:51 am  
Blogger S said...

Anyone remember Crystal Pepsi? Looked like water but tasted like Pepsi? I loved that, so, of course, they had to take it off the shelves.

Their reason was it didn't sell, or caused brain lesions, or something...

September 13, 2006 11:13 am  
Blogger Thomas (Tom) Rimington said...

I like your writing style Steven. I will return often...

Tom

September 13, 2006 1:16 pm  
Blogger Kevin said...

I do remember Crystal Pepsi, but don't remember it tasting very good. Did you get 7-Up Gold in Canada? Ended up with kind of a ginger ale flavor? Cherry 7-Up lasted, Gold did not.

September 13, 2006 3:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Shouldn't music make the people come together?"

I'm not going to touch that, only so far as to say this:

Yes. Yes it should.

September 13, 2006 9:17 pm  
Blogger S said...

Tom: Human Nature is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Six: Don't remember 7-Up Gold. But, if it tasted like ginger ale, we have Canada Dry that actually is ginger ale.

Jason: I couldn't have said it better.

September 13, 2006 11:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home