I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Isn't it ironic?

It’s like rain on your wedding day
It’s a free ride when you’ve already paid
It’s the good advice that you just didn’t take
And who would’ve thought, it figures…


When the song Ironic came out over a decade ago, a critic mentioned that the lyrics were statements of coincidence, not of irony since coincidence is a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent casual connection, while irony is the discrepancy between the expected and actual state of affairs.

He was right.

Coincidence is forgetting to fill a spare tire and getting a flat.

Irony is being the most cautious person in the world who forgets to fill their spare tire after helping a burning schoolbus full of children that was about to fall off a cliff, then gets a flat tire, has the same schoolbus purposely hit the car and the car goes flying off the same cliff, exploding in a ball of flames, throwing all caution to death's door.

Or, something like that.

Strangely enough, I’m on a first-name basis with irony – coincidence, or not.

**

Recently, something ludicrous happened to me (which makes me look back in laughter) that I thought would go smoothly since there was no way I could fuck it up. At the time, I casually mentioned how ironic it would be if it came out all wrong in the end, after wanting to be right in the first place.

What happens? Not coincidence, let me tell you. Irony is always there, mocking me, pointing its finger and laughing like a deranged hyena, high on a mixture of E and Tina. Sometimes I wish I could forget it, but I'm too smart to let that happen.

Fuck the ironies of irony.

I want coincidental life.

10 Comments:

Blogger Timmy said...

I'm afraid I do not believe in coincidence. You are stuck with irony.

I got your back either way!

(wink)

October 26, 2006 7:32 am  
Blogger toobusyliving said...

Actually, I think the correct word is "ironical."

October 26, 2006 9:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn it, Peter stole what I was going to say.

October 26, 2006 9:39 am  
Blogger eric3000 said...

Irony is making unilateral decisions that affect everyone and saying you're doing it to spread democracy.

A black fly in your Chardonnay doesn't quite cut it. Although, if you usually drink Merlot and a fly in your Merlot wouldn't have bothered you but you get a Chardonnay just this one time and that's the time a fly falls in your drink, then maybe you're getting close to irony.

Your example of burning schoolbuses is a little more entertaining.

October 26, 2006 12:24 pm  
Blogger your judgemental aunt said...

so what you're saying is Alanis is a liar, is that correct?

October 26, 2006 1:41 pm  
Blogger madamerouge said...

I love the scene in Reality Bites where Winona Ryder's character can't define irony.

October 26, 2006 1:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. It just sucks.

October 26, 2006 3:14 pm  
Blogger Timmy said...

I will fight you for Ryan, liquid.

October 26, 2006 3:14 pm  
Blogger S said...

Timmy: I believe in fate, so what does that mean?

TBL: Har har.

Jason: Don't encourage him.

Eric: Your definition is better than the one I found in the dictionary.

Liquid: True. "Isn't it coincidental?" doesn't have the same ring.

YJA: Yes, yes I am.

MR: I never saw the movie.

Liquid: I'm not touching that one.

Salem: Yes, it does.

Timmy: Ooh, fight! Fight! Fight!

Brian: I don't like either, so, I guess I wouldn't care either way.

October 26, 2006 10:30 pm  
Blogger StePHen said...

i remember someone asking alanis in an interview what the most ironic part of the song 'ironic' was and she said laughed and said something like... "um probably that nothing in the song is ironic!" :)

October 28, 2006 3:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home