I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Hello, whoa, Vienna calling (pt. 1)

From the kitchen, the distinct ring of a cell phone is heard in the distance. It can either be mine or my sister’s, since we have the same phone.

“I’ll go see whose phone it is,” I say out loud as I walk towards the stairs.

“I think it may be mine,” says my sister, brushing her teeth in the bathroom.

As I dig inside my mitchel, I see the display on my phone is illuminated. “It’s mine,” I say to no one in particular, my voice echoing in the hallway. The phone number isn’t recognizable, but it’s coming from Toronto. I pick it up.

“Hello?”

“… Steven?” says the other, semi-recognizable voice.

“Yeah.”

“… it’s R.” Really? I haven’t spoken with her since her wedding two years ago. She practically fell off the face of the earth since she entered that institution.

“Hi.”

“… is K with you?” This is the first thing she asks me after two years of silence?

“Uh, no.” Why does she want to know where our friend, K, is? Do I look like her keeper?

“… Oh.” R sounds disappointed.

“Ok, then.” I say, slightly pissed.

“… Bye.”

“Bye.” I hang up.

What the fuck was that? I think as I walk back towards the kitchen.

“Who was it?” asks my mother.

“You’re never going to believe it.” I pause for dramatic effect. “It was R.”

R?” says my mother, incredulous.

“Yeah, I know. I don’t hear from her for two years, and she’s calling me to know where K is. I don’t care if she’s doing something with K and not me, but why the hell is she calling me to know where our friend is?” I huff. “And, don’t get me started over the fact that K is in town and didn’t call me to go out...”

“You know people change after they get married,” says my father while at the kitchen sink.

“Yeah, I know.” I scratch my head. “Ever since she became a Jehovah’s Witness and got married, she became a totally different person.” It’s not like I stopped communicating with her. I called and e-mailed several times throughout the years, to no response.

“That religion does strange things to people,” says my father.

Either religion, or marriage.

Note: To be continued...

7 Comments:

Blogger Brand New W said...

I didn't know that getting married or becoming a JW turned you into a rude jerk! That call was so not neccessary!

February 19, 2007 1:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to part 2. interesting combo: marriage, JW, ex, you, ...

February 19, 2007 6:01 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I had a friend get born again and marry. She doesn't acknowledge my existence now. It's very strange but certainly says more about them than us.

February 19, 2007 8:14 am  
Blogger Timmy said...

it is both.

February 19, 2007 8:32 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

You never know though ... maybe she had a freaky dream ... maybe she had some horrible news to tell K about someone that you didn't know and she couldn't reach her.

There could be any number of reasons she called you to locate her (although one would have thought she might give you a little insight).

Or she's just a crazy ass bitch.

February 19, 2007 9:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can beat all y'all bitches.
My college roommate got married, cheated on his wife with a boy, went through "reparative therapy", remarried, and sort of pseudo contacts all of his old friends before his family and "church" finds out, cracks down and locks him in the closet until he's straight again.

February 19, 2007 11:07 am  
Blogger WestVillageKid said...

this is why i don't get the gay marriage 'debate'

February 19, 2007 6:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home