I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Don't break my valentine's heart

When I was a young boy in school, I gave valentines to other people I liked. Quite often, I got what I gave in equal amounts. But, even in the spirit of giving, there was always someone who was left empty-handed. My heart broke a little for them.

No one deserves to feel unloved on Valentine's Day.

Years later, I still give out valentines to those I like (whether they like me is another story). When I am acknowledged, my mouth forms a tiny, gleeful smile. But, last year I didn't get one and my heart broke a little for me.

Why does this form of acknowledgement mean so much, and why does it mean so much to me? True, I am single, but that shouldn't be a factor. You don't need to be coupled to be loved. There must be someone out there who cares, but where are they?

Too many questions, too many headaches and heartaches.

All I know is I don't want to hurt, and I don't want to be reminded that no one cared enough to send me a valentine.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not wish to diminish the point of your post, but I want to express my own "dismay" that our culture has bought into the Hallmark-effect. You are not alone; I feel it, too, but how sad that we measure how we are loved by a piece of lightweight cardboard. We all need to understand the other signs of love that others show us - AND we all need to express that love to others.

To love and to be loved - to feel loved - is such a basic human need.

February 13, 2007 6:38 am  
Blogger Timmy said...

dammit! i want to feel loved too.

February 13, 2007 8:54 am  
Blogger Jeff Skybar said...

You were the first person to send me an internet card. I got a gleeful smile and felt very good when you did that. For I was usually the one empty handed on Valentines day. I will always remember that.

Don't forget the ones you have touched, you just never know who they might be.

February 13, 2007 9:25 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

i heart you!

February 13, 2007 11:55 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

My dear good friend:
You are spot on with "You shouldn't have to be coupled to be loved." Love crosses amazing boarders and boundaries. We must be open to receiving it and to giving it. And I'm sure you are. Remember, it's just a single 24-hour period of time on a calendar. You are love, my friend...a lot. Happy Valentine's Day.

February 13, 2007 3:50 pm  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Happy Valentine's Day, dude. Sending lots and lots of virtual love enough to make up for last year. *hugz* :D

February 13, 2007 5:28 pm  
Blogger Single Guy said...

Happy V-Day. I am sending you a big hug and some virtual roses. V-Day has come and passed down under:) Have a good one...

February 13, 2007 11:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

12 on the dot, lemme be the first to say happy valentine's day.

okay, 12:01.

February 14, 2007 12:02 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

I hope you got some ... valentines and love, that is.

February 14, 2007 10:47 am  
Blogger madamerouge said...

It's like Lisa Simpson giving Ralph Wiggum a valentine--and regretting it later.

Goddamned day should be outlawed.

February 14, 2007 10:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home