I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Stood up while sitting down

It’s 8:25 and Starbucks is full of students, talking audibly over the light jazz music. J isn’t there, yet. I make a clockwise walk around the coffee shop, and I pull up a chair to a small table near the front so J can see me. Its comfort level is that of a block of wood.

For the next few minutes, I glance at the door whenever it opens - a couple of students, a few older couples, and the occasional yuppie. None of them are J.

Out comes some reading material to keep my mind off the wait. With each page flip, a minute passes. Before I know it, 15 minutes have ticked away on my watch. I call J, but there isn’t an answer. J doesn’t call or text me.

What’s going on? I wonder. Why doesn’t J call me?

As time passes, I read more and grow impatient. My fingers begin to tap the table in a percussive beat. The minutes turn into seconds and I start to stare at the door, thinking that if I concentrate enough, J will walk through. It doesn’t happen.

The baristas walk by my table a few times and give me look. I haven’t ordered anything because I thought it would be rude to be drinking before my guest arrives. I know it looks like I’m loitering, but if they knew what was going on, they’d offer me something to drink, like a scotch.

I pull out my phone and see if there are any missed messages. Not one. I make a few phone calls to friends to see whether, or not, they want to chat for a few minutes; my luck entails talking on the phone, and someone appearing. No one is home and every phone call results in a series of pathetic messages on voicemail.

It’s now 9 o’clock. I’ve waited more than ½ hour for J to arrive, and I am still sitting at Starbucks.

I’ve been stood up while sitting down. Fuck.

I hope J had a terrible accident and is lying in the hospital, with several broken limbs and a lack of pain medication.

Thinking of that is the only way I’ll feel better... for now.

Note: This post is brought to you by WTF Wednesdays.

11 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

I'd be scratching J off my list.

July 25, 2007 7:39 am  
Blogger Timmy said...

yeah, what torn said!

July 25, 2007 7:40 am  
Blogger Marquis said...

Sorry! about that some people can be so inconsiderate. No excuse for wasting someone's time.

July 25, 2007 7:52 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

rude, immature, wuss... just the first 3 things that came to mind.

regardless of situation, a simple call, text or voicemail would have been far better than a no-show.

and like you, i'll be hoping he calls to reschedule, and shows up in a cast.

July 25, 2007 10:24 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Damn him. And I'll be that you were all prettied up, smelled good, perfectly coiffed and all applicable hairs trimmed. Oh, and hand and nails spiffed up too. You should have enjoyed a coffee....with a Scotch back. I promise....I would not have no-showed on you.

July 25, 2007 10:46 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

sorry. it sucks. i hate it when that happens. and its happened way too many times than id like.

July 25, 2007 11:10 am  
Blogger Christopher said...

Two words: His Loss...

xoxo

July 25, 2007 2:59 pm  
Blogger dantallion said...

Starbucks?? I though you said Dunkin Donuts...

J, aka

July 25, 2007 3:35 pm  
Blogger Naijadude said...

Well I hope he was rushed to the ER as well....

July 26, 2007 12:48 am  
Blogger Brand New W said...

hmm, half an hour would be my limit.

July 26, 2007 12:13 pm  
Blogger Chris said...

Looks like J is short for Jackass. Do you want me to put a Greek curse on him for you?

July 27, 2007 10:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home