I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Don't worry, it grows back

Since I’m going over to my sister’s house, I decide it’s a good idea to shave. I don’t normally resemble Grizzly Adams, but my niece doesn’t like it when I have facial hair. She doesn’t get close to me, and says I have ‘prickles’ when I approach her for a hug and a kiss.

When I appear at the front door, my niece is the first person I see. She’s jumping up and down, like usual, excited that she has someone to play with.

I bend down, pull her close to me and say, “Come and give Uncle a kiss. See? He doesn’t have any prickles.” I smile and nod my head yes.

She takes a step towards me, places both her hands on either side of my face, rubs my cheeks, and looks at my skin as if she’s looking for blackheads without a magnifying glass.

“Don’t worry, it grows back,” she says while rubbing my cheeks. She then pats them a few times, lets go, turns around, and trots away into another room.

My face falls. Damn kid.

That's the last time I’m ever going to shave for a pretty face.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI STEVEN! :-P LOL my niece has spent most of her 2 year old life running away from me because I told her once that I was gonna eat her. She usually warms up to me after a while though. Gotta love em.

November 06, 2007 1:18 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

I love that moment when you get ahold of them good and tight and (gently) rub my/your/our face against their soft little necks...and they scream and hollar and giggle and make faces....and squirm to get away. Like bad sex, really.

November 06, 2007 9:49 am  
Blogger Chris said...

Reminds me of when I was a kid. I hated my father's stubble. I thought, "God, I hope that doesn't happen to me." Now I'm the hairiest person in my family.

November 06, 2007 11:10 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

i shaved this week too!

November 06, 2007 12:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suppose if I shaved my legs it would keep my hubby from trotting away? he he

Sounds like you're a good uncle!

November 06, 2007 12:55 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

at least she wasn't patting the top of your head!

November 06, 2007 12:56 pm  
Blogger Sooo-this-is-me said...

If I grow a beard, My friend's little boy always says "you better not do a raspberry on my tummy", he keeps saying it until I catch him and do one or two or three. Kids are so funny.

Steven

November 06, 2007 6:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww....thats so cute.
Sorry my post made you run for the bathroom ;)
I get a little carried away sometimes. Thanks for the nice words.

November 07, 2007 12:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad used to come home for work every day, grab me into a huge bear hug, and then run my little hands down his face. I used to scream in delight at the "prickles".
Psychologists would probably have a field day over this, but now when I date guys I like when they have a little bit of facial hair. I still get the same delight running my hands over it.

November 08, 2007 2:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home