I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pick up the phone, but there's nobody home

Not too long ago, someone called me and left a message on my phone. Since I wasn’t home all weekend, I didn’t call back. When I did get the chance to call back, it was too late at night, so I thought it was a kind gesture to send an e-mail to say I was sorry but I was out all weekend and couldn’t return the phone call.

What I got back wasn’t what I expected.

Turns out, the caller is pissed. Pissed because I was inconsiderate and didn’t return the call immediately. And, now the caller isn’t talking to me. Ironic, n’est-ce pas?

Being diplomatic, I send another note saying I'm sorry, but I can’t return calls (or listen to messages) when I’m not near a phone.

Why, you ask, do I send a second note when calling seems to be the better route for reconciliation?

The reason is twofold: I'm expecting a passive-aggressive tongue-lashing, and by the time I call, they're already asleep because of their schedule.

One little phone call, one big problem. So, from now on I'm going to stay far away from all forms of communication because no one ever understands me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You should write back and say, "I'm sorry, but I've just been really busy building this pedestal for you to stand on." People need to get over themselves.

Just remember: it's not you, it's them. I guarantee you'll feel much better after you adopt that mentality.

October 25, 2007 10:07 am  
Blogger S said...

I found out the reason why they aren't talking is because they can't trust me when I don't answer the phone ("I'm hiding something").

October 25, 2007 11:06 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

i understand.

and im doing the same thing.

October 25, 2007 11:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"from now on I'm going to stay far away from all forms of communication because no one ever understands me."

What the heck is THAT supposed to mean? WOW you really pissed me off. I'm never talking to you again.

OK, seriously, wtf is up with some people? People call, they email, sometimes immediately, sometimes later. Unless you really know WHY, it's dangerous to assume someone's being a jerk when they don't call back at once.

Oh well - do you really want to deal with this person?

October 25, 2007 2:14 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

i know you often ignore my calls, but at least you tell me you're ignoring me. that's so polite of you!

October 25, 2007 6:21 pm  
Blogger tornwordo said...

That's funny, I tell people, "I always screen and if I don't feel like talking, I don't pick up. It's nothing personal."

It's probably why I have so few friends, but at my age, I don't really care anymore, lol.

October 26, 2007 6:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home