I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Gimme a fry

Being a connaisseur of various fast-food establishments, I feel like I have done my fair share of research on a series of restaurants. Even though my each place is different, there is always one thing on the menu that differs: french fries.

Sourcing out the best french fry is one of my greatest achievements. I have been to many sandwich-combo outlets, and they each have their benefits. But, there is only one place that I return to, time and time again, for their pommes frites: Wendy’s.

Before I hear the collective groan from the masses, let me explain…

Wendy’s always has the perfect mixture of thickness, crispness, flavour, and saltiness that others can’t meausre up to. They’re never too greasy, or oily, and they’re the perfect size to pop into your mouth after being dipped in a vat of ketchup.

McDonald’s, the fast-food king, makes fries that are too thin to my taste. Also, they tend to break easily. I do realize they’re trying to imitate frites (the shoestring fries seen at many French bistros), but they don’t make the grade.

Burger King’s fries aren’t that bad. Their only problem is they’re oversalted to the point of puckering your lips. Of course, when that happens, you take a sip of your carbonated beverage (usually Coke), and it makes it worse because it’s like having acid being poured on your tongue.

The fries at Harvey’s and Arby’s aren’t that special. Just a bunch of potatoes being fried. They’re so unmemorable I’ve already forgotten what they taste like. What is memorable is the amount of time I put into thinking about the benefits of french fries.

Anyway, I still haven’t been to Lick’s Homeburger or Hero’s Burgers, so I don’t know if they’ll be able to knock Wendy off that pedestal of hers. Let’s hope she has insurance in case she falls.

Fuck, now I'm hungry and have a craving for fries...

16 Comments:

Blogger Daniel Thomasson said...

I agree with you on Wendy's fries. However, my observation is that Wendy's fries are not fried to a crisp like many of the other fast food restaurants. Wendy's fries are still limp enough to bend. The only other restaurant that has comparable fries is Sonic, but I usually go for tater tots there. McDonald's fries are too crispy and Burger King's fries are just nasty with all the seasoning they use.

November 20, 2007 1:13 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh great... now i want something fried for my breakfast... must avoid the temptation... though i did have a baked potatoe with my chicken salad frecasha sandwich at wendy's yesterday for lunch...mmmmm

November 20, 2007 7:05 am  
Blogger Chris said...

Well, now I know where I'm going for lunch, freezing New York City rain be damned.

Wendy does have the best fries. I think we're soul mates now.

(I think those are Wendy's fries in my profile pic)

November 20, 2007 9:36 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

its been a while since ive had wendys fries. but i do like mcdonalds. i like that they are thin. and salted. mmmmm. good.

November 20, 2007 9:56 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

I'm sorry, in that very last sentence, did you say "Fuck, now" or "Fuck now"???? Just checking.
You haven't mentioned my favorite....a local chain joint that puts them all to shame:

http://www.burgerville.com/html/

November 20, 2007 11:53 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

Oops, I forgot....
Skip the ketchup....never been a fan of most people's favorites (ketchup, mustard, relish, mayonnaise)

November 20, 2007 11:54 am  
Blogger RomanHans said...

"Lick’s Homeburger"? What, was "Muffy's Burger Dive" already taken?

November 20, 2007 12:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, is everyone turning their thoughts to food? I've always focused more on the difference in the burgers. Bor fries, I guess McD's kinda wins for me. But, unlike Lewis, I use large quantities of ketchup, so I'm betting a small stick would taste the same to me.

November 20, 2007 12:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually opt for a salad over fries.

November 20, 2007 12:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy's is cool too cause you can subsitute your side for something else like a potato or a salad. Some of the other places are finally catching on to that. But I have to say when I want to eat something I shouldnt, their fries really are better than anywhere else.

November 20, 2007 3:33 pm  
Blogger Brand New W said...

i love a McDonald's fry. it's those damn golden arches that gets my stomach craving them. marketing genius.

Church's Fried Chicken fries are good too, serrated and covered in gravy... (although I don't think Church's is out East, is it?)

we have a nice European fry house here on Davie Street, if u ever get to Vancouver, called Fritz, and there, it's more about the dips than it is about the fry... mango chutney, garlic mayo, blue cheese mayo... the list goes on and they are all worth it!

November 20, 2007 3:45 pm  
Blogger R said...

Your Wendy's needs to teach the Wendy's joints here in Austin how to make fries. I refuse to get any of the limp, grease laden, cold sticks they serve. They are consistently nasty.

November 20, 2007 7:02 pm  
Blogger nikoeternal.com said...

Most fast food french fries still contain trans fats. The recommended daily allowance of trans fats is 0 grams. Therefore, french fries are more than a no no, they're a NO NO NO!

November 20, 2007 8:53 pm  
Blogger nikoeternal.com said...

and that goes for the rest of the foods at fast food joints too!

November 20, 2007 8:56 pm  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

BIGGIE FRIES!!!!!

Yummmm

I love Wendy's Fries.

Finally, something we totally agree on!

Next time i'm in Canada, the fries are on me.

November 20, 2007 9:36 pm  
Blogger Snooze said...

The fries at Hero Burger are phenomenal. I have them with malt vinegar. They're more homemade though so I don't know if you like that style or not.

November 20, 2007 10:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home