I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Make 'em laugh

In the iconic musical, Singin’ in the Rain, Donald O’Connor sings "Make ‘em laugh" by dancing a complicated routine while flailing about a stage set. It’s choreographed in such a way that the audience can’t refrain from smiling while watching his over-the-top moves.

Although I don't swing around with a dummy or do backflips off of walls to make others laugh, I try my best to keep them entertained.

Whenever I want to make myself laugh, I look in the mirror. The reason why I do that isn’t because my face is funny (actually, it’s hilarious), but because of what it means to me.

Whenever I look at the eyes, nose, lips, and lines, I can recall the past. Some of those events were hysterical, while others embarrassing. But, they're all entertaining, in a tragic-comic kind of way.

Even on my saddest days, there’s plenty of fodder to dissipate depressive thoughts. Of course, there is the occasional time when I look and well up in tears (usually because I find another white hair), but those are few and far in-between.

Because if you can’t laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at… except other people?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well said and very true. You are quite the philosopher aren't you! ;)

November 08, 2007 1:16 am  
Blogger Christopher said...

Word!

PS...I Love this pic! This is how I picture you whenever we talk on the phone.

November 08, 2007 3:30 am  
Blogger Chris said...

I love to laugh at other people. And if it makes them cry, even better.

November 08, 2007 9:05 am  
Blogger Sooo-this-is-me said...

Nothing cuter on a guy than a big smile! : )

I like the pic also!

Steven

November 08, 2007 9:10 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

You say "laugh at other people" like it's a bad thing.

November 08, 2007 10:40 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

i always laugh at myself first. then i dont feel so bad when i laugh at others. :)

November 08, 2007 10:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I just had an orgasm over that picture!

It is always fun to point and laugh at others.Give it a try!

November 08, 2007 5:34 pm  
Blogger R said...

Nicely written and very true. I will be sharing this post with friends.

If the picture represents you laughing, it would be impossible not to smile along.

November 10, 2007 6:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home