I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

You may also like

Every holiday season, my sister and I used to get excited whenever the Sears Wishlist Christmas catalogue came in the mail. It was our holiday heroin. We’d go through the pages, choosing what we’d want (which was almost everything), and tell our mom, only to have her dissent our selections.

When the catalogue stopped being shipped to our house, we were crushed. How else would we get our holiday jollies? We were too young to be alcoholics! We later found out Sears started charging for it. The horror. Our mother said she wasn’t going to pay for it and we practically mutinied.

But, as the time passed, we forgot about the book and began to spend more time on important things, like school and… well, that’s about it.

So, it should come as a huge surprise for me when I come across this brilliant site that makes me relive my Wishlist fantasies every day.

You May Also Like has enabled me to recapture my youth while reliving those awful memories of not having that fuckin’ catalogue around because my mother was too fuckin’ cheap to spend three fuckin' dollars on something that meant so much to me.

Anyway…

The owner of the site manages to find each and every cheesy item that existed in the early-to-mid 80’s, and makes me laugh at the absurdity of them. A piece of shit on a stick? I want two of them! A thong made out of barbed wire? I should've ordered it last week!

What's especially entertaining is realizing how insane you must've been to want any of those things in the catalogue. Why did I want any of those things? Was it out of fun? Was it because they were new and novel? Was it because I didn’t have them, and being a consumer at heart, felt like I needed them?

Whatever the reasons, I know that when I visit YMAL, it’s like Christmas… without all the awful memories associated with the holiday.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the catalog's when I was a kid as well. always scoped out everything between the sears and JC Penny books. I remember the year I wanted a telescope and got a hot pink skateboard. And you wonder why I'm gay now?

November 27, 2007 2:34 am  
Blogger Timmy said...

that's hott.

November 27, 2007 7:45 am  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I used to love the catalog too.

November 27, 2007 7:48 am  
Blogger Sooo-this-is-me said...

My parents still get the catalog, you only have to order something through the mail and it still comes free. Barbed wire underwear? Man what kind of screwed up catalog were you getting!

Steven

November 27, 2007 8:49 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

I wanna meet your mother. I think that will explain quite a lot about you!

I remember wanting an air hockey game that I saw in the Sears Wish book. Although, back then, I think it was just the catalog. Anyway, all i usually got from the catalog was new socks.

November 27, 2007 11:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing I remember about the catalogs is my parents using them as booster seats for us kids while we ate dinner.

November 27, 2007 11:56 am  
Blogger R said...

As a country boy, I always went straight to the bb guns in the catalog. I wanted every new model that came out - surely I could shoot more squirrels and rabbits with that one. And, yes, we ate squirrel and rabbit at my house.

I'm mostly vegetarian now.

November 27, 2007 7:42 pm  
Blogger A Lewis said...

That damned catalog got more use out of it than George Bush is out of promoting fear and terror. And THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING!

November 27, 2007 8:50 pm  
Blogger Chris said...

We never got the Sears catalog in our house. Just Harriet Carter. Which probably explains where I came from.

November 28, 2007 9:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home