I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Why do I even bother to ask?

Being someone who likes to interact with his readers, I sometimes ask them the reasons why they come to Human Nature. It isn’t the sex talk, eye candy, or anything to make people hot under the collar. At its core is writing... and hopefully, a liking of the author.

Once, one of my (former) readers wrote several paragraphs on why they don’t like the site. They visited often, but didn't like what they saw/read. When I asked what they didn't like, the only thing not included in the critique was the kitchen sink.

Maybe it’s a good thing I didn’t ask about my looks. Lord knows what would've been said then.

A direct, unedited quote:

As for your writing, I don't know that symbolism is the right word... I think I was specifically thinking of the "tennis" piece at the time I said that... which was just one big fat furry lump of symbolism... no, actually, scratch that... it is symbolism...

I don't know that it was necessarily a criticism, I keep reading your blog because it is so different to the way I write, and you have all that style going on. If I was going to give a real constructive criticism it would be this... I don't feel like I know anything about you. Your posts can be like these little self contained nuggets... where you don't have to have read the entire blog (which is a good thing, since I think I've done that once in all the blogs I've read, gone right back through all the archives... well, unless there's only a
couple of months)...

It's your style, and that's great if that's the direction you choose to go... but on the odd occasion it can feel like a writing exercise... especially when it seems to be something big and monumental... and then we find out it actually happened 3 or 7 or 10 years ago...

Even though there are some valid points, I never made any claims to them. Regarding my style, if you hear me speak (or read one of my e-mails), you'd know that I speak the same way I write because I'm a writer and public speaker - the showiness is as obvious as the luscious lips on my face. Also, I never said Human Nature was a current diary, but a series of stories about my life. And, I think I say way too much about my life, even though there are some subjects which are (and will be) personal because they are no one’s business but my own.

Then again, this person cited style and substance as critiques, yet they manage to end every friggin’ sentence with an ellipsis.

But, I’m not one to point out the faults of others.

Note: This post is brought to you by WTF Wednesdays...

15 Comments:

Blogger Random Thinker said...

my momma taught me that if i didn't have anything good to say about someone, then keep my mouth shut.

but where's the fun in that?

i think it would be a better thing if we kept our mouths shut when we had something good to say, so that we can really talk trash about someone else.

So, where do I begin with your blog?

well, following MY rule, i'm gonna keep my mouth shut.

(keep writing, and piss off all those boring-assed critics who thing Mad Magazine is journalism at its finest.)

December 05, 2007 12:16 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't tell me you are starting to worry what your visitors think of you? That way lies madness!

Just do what you like to do. Obviously your visitors that drop by more often, including me, like your writing style, your weird humor, and even your hot, smoldering, and even, dare I say it, sexy looks.

Course, why should you listen to me? lol

December 05, 2007 2:49 am  
Blogger Tom said...

LOL, there's a big old fishing trip for compliments if ever there was one!

But anyway - I agree with the different style part, compared to my "what I have for breakfast" blog I like your style of mixing in the present and the past and giving us carefully thought out nuggets - the good sort, not the McChickenTesticles kind. I also like that you're not afraid to say what you think... (but hey, what's wrong with a smattering of ellipses...?). ;)

December 05, 2007 5:59 am  
Blogger Timmy said...

......and he likes dots......see, you can fill up space with dots.......it's great, and you don't even have to think about it............................................................................................................................blah.

December 05, 2007 7:29 am  
Blogger Sunshine said...

I wouldn't pay much attention to those comments, Steven. I enjoy reading what you write and I presume you enjoy writing. Ultimately, it is the latter that is the most important.

In my opinion, personal blogs are quite simply not a medium for stylistic critique and when someone does that nonetheless - it's just bad form in my books.

December 05, 2007 9:32 am  
Blogger Chris said...

See, this sounds like the ideal person to bitch-slap. Pure satisfaction right there. Ooh, my hands are shaking just thinking about it.

This crackpot also sounds like someone who, when they talk, ends every sentence with a question mark. More justification for a bitch-slap.

But don't you just LOVE people who take blogs so seriously? They have to deconstruct and criticize, as if they've been hired to do so. And we're supposed to listen, as if we are to grown and learn, based on their high-and-mighty opinions.

I'm glad he's a former reader. We don't need his kind around here, spoiling the fun.

December 05, 2007 10:07 am  
Blogger about a boy said...

i agree with random. if you aint got nothing to say. keep your lips zipped.

im here. what more could you ask for?

December 05, 2007 10:45 am  
Blogger alexsander said...

they are just haters! hehehe :), I enjoy your entries you are very clever and a great writer :)

December 05, 2007 11:20 am  
Blogger DavisMcDavis said...

I like the words and the pictures. I especially like it when you have a story that ends with a picture related to the story.

My only critique is that you occasionally use the Myspace-y grammar of using "them" instead of "him" when talking about a person. (I had to go back to November to find an example, so this critique is a minor one.)

Here's what you wrote:
"1. You like someone, but they don’t know who you are.
2. You like someone, but they don’t like you the way you like them.
3. You like someone, but they don't like you."

Personally I would prefer:
"1. You like someone, but he doesn't know who you are.
2. You like someone, but he doesn't like you the way you like him.
3. You like someone, but he doesn't like you.
4. You like someone, but then he critiques the grammar on your blog. Then you decide he's really kind of bitchy, you stop liking him, and then defriend him on Facebook."

Isn't my way better? Hee hee...

December 05, 2007 12:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me? Did you actually ask him for this information or did he just throw it out to you, unsolicited?

I didn't know I was paying to read your blog and am therefore entitled to slam you if I don't like how you do something since you're taking my hard earned money.

I guess it'd be one thing if it was a critique because he felt you wanted to be a professional writer - or if you actually asked what he thought of your style. But I'm sensing (though it's not clear) that it was something like "hey I used to read you and now I'm not and I'm gonna tell you why in a brutally honest fashion even though you didn't ask."

I may be an uncoordinated clod, but I'd like to think I'm not that tactless.

Geez, you write the way you write. It's a good style (to my uneducated eyes) and I can only assume it's the style you wish to use.

And, honestly, criticizing you because it's unclear if a thing happened today or last year? It's not a newspaper.

December 05, 2007 1:12 pm  
Blogger Rebel Yankee said...

You're just begging for approval, aren't you?
Well, I'm not giving it to you.
And your mother dressed you funny...

December 05, 2007 2:54 pm  
Blogger Brand New W said...

hmm, good question. why do i come to your blog??? habit, i suppose.

:P

December 05, 2007 7:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your blog because I want a ride from the airport. There I said it.

Oh, and a drop at the Sheraton. Oh, and to take you to Shoppers so I can buy dental floss.

Phew. Nice to get that off my chest.

(Damn. I forgot all the dots......)

December 05, 2007 9:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm... and some people... just have waaay to much time on hteir hands.... :)

Critique a blog? this isn't a term paper. The posts are about things in your life, past. present, and what you hope for the future. I really don not think that most of us are writing an article for the economist or Vanity Fair, we write how we feel. And who cares what we do on our blogs, they are ours in the end. If you do not like what we write you do not have to read it.

December 05, 2007 9:51 pm  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Ugh. What is that? It's like I don't like it but I read it anyway.

December 07, 2007 4:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home