I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, November 10, 2008

Wearing pyjamas in Burger King

For lunch, my father, mother and myself are taking my older niece to Burger King for lunch. It's a treat for her since she loves french fries. The burgers, not so much. It's all about the fries. And ketchup.

When we're sitting at a table, munching away, my niece looks over at me - mouth full of food - and grabs onto my sweater.

"Uncle, you're wearing pyjamas!" she yells out. A couple of people turn around and look at our table.

"Shhh..." I say, grabbing onto her hand and releasing it from the sweater I'm wearing.

"Uncle! You're. Wearing. Pyjamas." She says it louder this time. I open my eyes wide, partly in shock, partly in embarassment.

"B, leave uncle alone." My mother leans across the table, pushes her down and stuffs a french fry in her mouth. "He's trying to eat."

"Where did she get that idea? That you're wearing pyjamas..." My father, who's sitting across from me, asks while looking at me.

"It's because it is," I look down and mouth the words between bites. "Well, technically, it's a sweater, but I wear it to sleep sometimes when I'm cold. It's cheaper than cranking up the heat every night."

Since my parents value creative thriftiness over insipid spending, the conversation ends with that sentence.

But, this is the last time I'm taking my niece to Burger King for lunch because it's easier than having to change clothes before leaving the house.

7 Comments:

Blogger PeterStJ said...

Thanks God, I am not the only one wearing a sweater when it is really cold in the winter.
A hint from me, it is much better to have a man/a woman to keep you warm under the sheets in those chilly nights. You should try it, I guarantee about the satisfying result, if not I will personally come to do the job. Lol, just kidding about the last one, but it is true, I slept naked in the middle of the winter and we forgot the door to the balcony opened - it was under the zero (Celsius that is) and I was not cold.
But a sweater can be pretty good also.
I like your blog.

November 10, 2008 4:45 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

Your niece... hilarious... wonder where she gets that from?

Wait till she gets a sense of what she's really saying, then uncle steven will really be in for repeated embarrassment.

November 10, 2008 9:11 am  
Blogger A Lewis said...

They say that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. It looks like it's, apparently, partially true. She's just like her hot sexy Uncle. Bed clothes or not.

November 10, 2008 10:07 am  
Blogger Chris said...

This is why I don't go anywhere with children.

November 10, 2008 3:26 pm  
Blogger Brand New W said...

i prefer McDonald's french fries anyday.

November 10, 2008 5:23 pm  
Blogger jay said...

I agree that McD fries are much better but this is quite the funny story.

I actually wear sweatshirts if it's really cold and heat hasn't yet come on.

November 10, 2008 6:54 pm  
Blogger T said...

and you spell pyjamas with a Y [like we in Australia do ] - I thought North Americans spelt it with an A instead !!

November 25, 2008 5:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home