I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Avoiding the unavoidable (pt. 1)

The series of angry texts from J on Friday night did not put me in the greatest of moods on Saturday morning. Not only did I have to be at work before 9 a.m, but I also had to clock in more hours in the afternoon for a client's event.

The office is quiet. No one is around and I'm able to take care of a few projects in my own time. When it's almost 1 p.m., I turn off my computer at work and head to the event. The weather is overcast which allows me to walk down University Avenue in a sweater without arriving in a puddle of sweat.

The event is running well and I don't need to be around to take care of any details. They don't need me there and I'd just be another body in the crowd. Because I have some free time on my hands, I head over to Holt Renfrew for some retail therapy.

When I arrive at Holt's, I make my way to the restroom. It's the best one in the city that doesn't cost a cup of coffee in order to be used. The amenities are lush and - most important - clean. It takes me about 10 minutes to freshen up. The hair doesn't look too bad, my clothes still look good, and the perspiration is wiped away.

While making my way downstairs, I see there's a trunk show from X, the designers J sometimes does freelance work for. I begin to make my way towards it and then I see J there with K, one of the designers. In a flash, I make a quick cut to the right and walk through a rack of clothes.

Fuck. Out of all the people I have to see, I have to see him. It doesn't help that he had a text fight with me the night before. Fuck. Why now? I don't need this. I don't need this, now.

I walk around the second floor, trying to find the escalator downstairs. Naturally, the escalator is in the area where J is standing. Fuck. I need to make my way out of here without seeing J because if I do run into him it's not going to be as pretty as the dresses on the stylized mannequins.

I hope I don't run into him. I hope he doesn't see me. I hope I don't run into him. I hope he doesn't see me. The mantra is whispered in my head as I walk around the escaltors.

The coast is clear as I make my way through the racks. That is, until I run into J and K. Literally...

6 Comments:

Blogger Godfrey said...

oh god, this sounds sooo painful. it's one of those things that 6 months from now you'll find very amusing, but at the time is just totally horrible. sorry man :(

June 22, 2009 12:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart sank when I read the last sentence. Hope you're better today.

June 22, 2009 8:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ACK!

June 22, 2009 10:59 am  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, fuck. That's almost sit-com like, although I don't think anyone was laughing.

June 22, 2009 11:09 am  
Blogger Craig said...

I want part 2! I'm dying here!

June 23, 2009 11:44 am  
Anonymous Ozymandias said...

Ok I guess you think that this is all very titillating and all that but actually it's like a teen-age melodrama. Get a life.

June 24, 2009 5:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home