I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I'm not defensive, damnit!

At one of my past jobs, there was a to-do list of items that needed to be done at the end of every weekly meeting. One of them included purchasing a magazine that mentioned one of our clients.

Due to the fact that I worked from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., I never made it to the store in time since they close at 6 p.m. God forbid if I left the office in the middle of the day to go magazine shopping. That would be a no-no. So, this item wasn’t taken care of immediately.

When it came to the middle of the month, I stepped out for one lunch break and searched every store and newsstand I could find that sold the magazine. It was sold out. Apparently, it was a popular issue. I did end up finding one that was on display and asked the shopkeeper to remove it because I had to have it.

Back at the office, I tagged the magazine and placed it on the desk of the VP. Within a few minutes, she was passing by my desk and waving the magazine in the air.

“Steven, did you just buy this today?” she asked.

“Yes, I went down to several stores to track it down. It’s sold out.”

“Steven, don’t be defensive.”

“I’m not being defensive.”

“Yes, you are.”

“No, I’m not.” I tried very hard not to give her the evil eye.

“You’re being defensive by being defensive.”

Just what the hell is that supposed to mean? I thought. Is this some sort of power game? A mind game? Please, woman...

“No, I’m just answering your question. That’s not being defensive.” I raised my eyebrow and twitch my lip, as if I was saying I don’t know what you mean by that.

And, with that, she sensed I was pissed at her (with good reason). She walked away, didn't thank me for running out and spending almost an hour looking for a magazine and left me to finish off the rest of my duties.

I left work that day at 7 p.m. Again.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Chapman said...

I have a very different view to work - after being made redundant twice.

Employers will get rid of you without a concern, so work as hard as you need to and no more.

February 16, 2010 3:26 am  
Blogger Matt Swift said...

Sounds like my workplace... ummm, i mean an old job!
;)

February 17, 2010 7:01 am  
Blogger Brand New W said...

oh you should have told me! i totally could have given you my issue of Honcho magazine!

February 17, 2010 3:58 pm  
Blogger Francois said...

I'm with Stephen C. Employers of no loyalty. Time to move on.

February 17, 2010 5:44 pm  
Blogger Dean Grey said...

Steven!

Maybe she was stressed that day herself?

Sometimes hard work goes unnoticed at the workplace.

At least YOU know you put some real effort into it!

-Dean

March 07, 2010 4:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home