I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Keep loved ones nearby

There are times in life that allows one for reflection. Looking back on the days that we've already lived through, whether good or bad. Sadly, one of those times occurs when people confront the realities of death.

Last week, a friend's mother died, and I discovered a friend of mine also passed away. The first was due to a long-time illness, the other wasn't (the circumstances were truly horrific). Both were saddening in differing ways.

There wasn't anything I could do in either case. I felt rather helpless. The only thing I could do was to send my condolences. My thoughts were with both families. Reminiscing was the way to keep their spirits alive.

Even though my family has attended their share of funeral services in the past, I'm fortunate that all of my closest family members and friends are still alive. But, to quote my mother, you never know the day of tomorrow. Keep loved ones nearby, for one day they won't be.

When I met up with D, he noticed I was in a sombre mood. I tell him what happened and he consoles me with a few words.

"They're in a better place, now."

I hope so, too.

4 Comments:

Blogger gbinwpb said...

Hey Man...new to your posts but I am sorry for your loss in both regards. And I say that because both seem to have touched you in significant ways. Your Mom is right....you never know and you should never miss an opportunity to show someone you care because you never know the day of tomorrow.

And you also have to believe, they are in a better place.

July 19, 2010 2:00 am  
Blogger Random Thinker said...

Sorry about your friend's mother and your friend. I think the hope of going to a better place sustains many of us, especially in times of sorrow and grief.

I have attended my share of funerals too - and while it may seem awkward at times, I find it best to not just express your condolences, but also share some memory.


I firmly believe in celebrating the person's life, and laughing about the way the person lived can be a tremendous help.

July 21, 2010 9:53 am  
Blogger Brand New W said...

sorry i've been neglecting my blogs as of late. i'm sorry to hear about your friend's passing. My condolences to you. hugs

July 29, 2010 12:12 pm  
Blogger Dean Grey said...

(((HUGS)))

August 10, 2010 5:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home