I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Monday, August 02, 2010

Another long weekend?

There are three of us in the Audi being driven to our respective homes after our event preview. D and I are sitting in the back, while A sits in the front seat with the driver. After we announce our drop-offs, D leans forward to say something to A.

"So, what are you doing for the long weekend?" asks D.

"Oh, I don't know..." replies A.

"Wait, it's a long weekend?" I ask.

"Yeah, we have Monday off." D looks at me.

"Which holiday is this?" I scrunch my forehead. "I've been so clued out this week, I didn't even realize we had one."

"It's Victoria Day," says A in the front.

"Already? Wow. Time flies, I guess." I look out the window to the speeding traffic outside the glass.

Upon my return home, I log onto Skype and see R is online. We chat for a few minutes and I ask him what he's doing for the long weekend. There isn't one in the United States, which is odd since we share most holidays and my work schedule is aligned with my friends south of the border.

"You Canadians always have holidays for everything."

"No. We don't celebrate President's Day..." This is true, but we have Victoria Day, instead. A day to celebrate a monarch who doesn't have much (or any, by now) control over the commonwealth.

Either way, a holiday is always welcome even if I don't technically don't take it off. But, I can't wait for the Labour Day weekend. Maybe I'll celebrate that one when it comes around in about a month.

6 Comments:

Blogger A Lewis said...

Maybe we should jointly share ALL Canadian and US holidays. We'd have WAY MORE that way.

August 02, 2010 11:33 am  
Anonymous Bitchy said...

Grammar is not one of your strong suits:

"A day to celebrate a monarch WHICH doesn't have much...control over the commonwealth."

A monarch WHO doesn't, or a MONARCHY which doesn't.

August 04, 2010 9:43 am  
Blogger S said...

Thank you for noticing the error, Bitchy. I made the correction (I shouldn't write posts at 2 a.m.).

August 04, 2010 10:53 am  
Anonymous Bitchy said...

Always happy to help!

August 05, 2010 8:12 am  
Blogger Brand New W said...

it's different over here too, we had BC Day, or as we call it : Pride Weekend!!!!

August 05, 2010 6:35 pm  
Blogger JUSTIN said...

What a luxury... National holidays you can enjoy.

August 06, 2010 5:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home