I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Ich spreche nicht Deutsch

It’s the end of the day, and I’m playing with my niece before her bedtime. We’re both on the floor and she’s “reading” a book, sitting in the crook between my legs.

On a large bookcase beside the change table, there are toys on the bottom, books in the middle, trinkets on the top shelf. As my eyes wonder, I find something that catches my eye.

“What does mellok mean?” I ask my sister who crouches down beside me. “Are these German blocks?” I point to a set of foam blocks in the bookcase.

“Uh, Steven, it says yellow. You’re reading it upside down.” She has a look of concern on her face, fearful that I may have to ride the shortbus from now on.

“Oh Jesus…” I lower my head in embarrassment.

“Dude, your IQ just went way down right now.” She laughs.

“I know.”

What’s sad isn’t that I said a really stupid thing out loud without thinking, it’s that I’ve just turned into my father.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lemuel said...

You'll enjoy the ride on the short bus. We can sit together. We're all very friendly, except for Tommy over there...

September 19, 2006 5:58 am  
Blogger Kevin said...

Ich liebe kartoffelsalat!

September 19, 2006 9:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey, I TEACH the kids that ride the short bus. I'm a good teacher, really. Was nominated for teacher of the year last year (well, in my own world).

Seriously though: you'll fit right in to my class. Just don't get too friendly with the drooler...

September 19, 2006 8:20 pm  
Blogger S said...

Lemuel: Yeah, I heard Tommy likes to play with matches...

Six: Well, ich liebe Plätzchen.

Jeff: How about a Winnebego?

Jason: I'll have to get some extra-absorbant towels for the ride.

September 19, 2006 9:51 pm  
Blogger tornwordo said...

That's funny. Anything that causes laughter has to be a good thing, right?

September 20, 2006 7:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home